Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Baju Jawi

There's no way you will ever look good in a kinda clothes the Arab are wearing. If you are a Malay, that is. You've gotta be an Arab to look good in that kinda clothes and you've gotta have the Arab kinda head to look good in that kinda headgear that they put on. Same thing with cowboy suit. You won't ever look good in it if you are not from Wyoming, Montana or Idaho, or Texas. Even Mexican don't look good in it. You've gotta be American to look good in a cowboy suit and there's no two way about it. And don't ask a guy from Vienna to put on a cowboy suit. This will only make him look very odd - like adding salted shredded chicken to a nice glass of sirap bandung soda.
This is why I don't put on the Afghan shirt and try to pass as one. Or the Arab kinda robe to look like one. No, I won't put on a cowboy suit, not even for a fancy dress dinner. I'd put on a checkered shirt and jeans. This would be as far as I'd go. No, I won't put on cowboy boots because like I've said, you've gotta be American to look good in them. I'm not sure if a Malay would look good in a Samurai suit. I reckon this is okay. You may wanna try it but don't ask me when would be the most appropriate time of the year to put it on. Maybe during Cherry Blossom. I don't know.
I've seen if often, male Caucasian putting on Baju Melayu when they marry a Jawi girl. I've not heard anyone say they don't look good in them. I guess being Jawi, we'd rather be polite and keep the opinion to ourselves and puji memuji the orang putih for willing to put on a funny clothes on an important day like a bersanding. 
Same thing with Ultraman suit. You won't ever look good in it if you are not Japanese. You can cover up the face but people would know. Just like Robocop suit. You can't possibly look good it if you are a Jawi guy. 
I've seen white folks put on a Silat suit in class. They look impressive, in Holland. But in Jakarta, they look funny. I don't know if it's the surroundings or the geography of a place that could have played a part in making you look good in an ethnic clothes that you put on.
Which is why it is always safe to put on a shirt, a nice belt, and a nice pair of pants, and a good pair of shoes. You can be Eskimo or Masai but I guarantee that you will look good in these. And for the women, you can be Norwegian, Swede, Chinese, Indian, American, African, Iranian or Australian. I guarantee that you'd look good in Baju Kurung. Which is why I don't get it when Jawi women go for Arab kinda clothes instead of Baju Kurung.  As for the men, you gotta be a Melayu to look good in a Baju Jawi. You can add the Kris on the side, but that would be overdoing it since 99% of Jawi men won't know how to use it properly. 
And the capal. The best guy who looks good in a Baju Jawi would be P.Ramlee. In Madu Tiga - when he asks 'Mana butang baju Melayu aku daa?'  This Raya, I'm putting on a Sponge Bob suit. Maybe I'll take pictures and post them here.
Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri. Ma'af Zahir dan Batin.
(This sounds more like Jawi, and less pretentious than Eid Mubarak).

11 Comments:

Blogger AuntieYan said...

Salam Bergen,

Thats the reason, I refused to buy the kain pesyen duyung that day...it does not suits me...I dont have figure like the duyung...but, they dont sell the kain pesyen anak badak??...ada ke??...hemmmm...!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Fauziah Ismail said...

Salam Bergen
It had always been the baju kurung for me. It is the most comfortable especially after going on the Raya rounds.
You can eat as much as you can and still hide it inside (behind?) a baju kurung.
Imagine if you're using baju kebaya ... surely one will be blue in the face having to breathe in all the time sebab nak maintain figure!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jo Kontan said...

Sir Bergeng,

I dunno why, but I feel, I do look good in a white slightly fitted round neck t shirt. Hmpph, even with the extra spare tires around the tummeh...

This is even better if the brand is Pagoda.

Mebbe it's the gene in me.

:-)

1:18 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

haha! you spongebob!!! do do do wear the spongebob suit, take pix and post it in here!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Monster Mom said...

Well Mr Spongebob, you can join my superheros at home... meet spidey, batman and powerpuff girl!

They even have kain angkasawan now! What is happening???? euwww!!!

4:53 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Salam Mr Bergen

Why sponge bob suit? I am sure you will look good in the baju jawi.

Dah lama tak dengar expression "jawi" tu.

Dulu2 selalu dengar "Baju Jawi", "Bahasa Jawi" and yang paling famous is "Masuk Jawi" hehehe.

Salam AidilFitri to you too. Awal sungguh wish ni nak pergi mana2 ke celebrate raya ni?..

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kama At-Tarawis said...

Bergen, I never knew baju melayu is called baju jawi until you mentioned it here. speaking of masuk jawi, I am reminded of a joke about 3 schoolboys asked by their english teacher what their fathers do for a living. Jawapan in Kedah English, of course.

boy 1 : my fatha is a farma!
boy 2 : my fatha is a teacha!
boy 3 : my fatha is a kok cutta!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the Ultraman suit would work on anyone over the age of 10 - the Japanese included - no matter how big a fan they might be :)

But I used to know a Malay once who looked pretty good in his 'samurai suit'. But then, he was pretty well schooled in the ways of the samurai.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Auntie Yan: Fesyen duyung untuk berenang dalam air, Auntie Yan. Untuk atas darat kenalah pakai baju pesyen yang bersesuaian dengan udara dan keadaan sekeliling. Samalah, mana boleh pakai baju scuba gi round-round kat shopping mall. He he

Fauziah Ismail: I believe it's the best for Jawi women. Tapi I have the impression Johorean women are diehard baju kurung wearer. True?

Jokontan: You'd look good in anything, sir. Spare tires around the tummeh - I thought you cycle hari hari? Give up oredia ah? he he. Btw, you kenal tak Pok Yi - dia bekas presiden pelumba basikal Pahang or Kuantan? Dia duduk Tanjung Api. Awok kat Permatang Badok kan?

The Plagiarist: Sure do ma'am. Just got me a Nikon D40. Haven't gotten used to it yet, still trying to figure out what all those buttons do.

Monster Mom: Kain angkasawan? He he Dulu ada when Apollo 11 landed on the mooon semua barang carried 'Appollo 11' T-shirt tu biasalah, tapi sampai selimut pun ada yang berjenama Apollo 11, botol air, pencil box. he he. Too bad no one has any of these items to remind ourselves that one time it was a big thing to put men on the moon.

Aunty N: Wow, this is a really pleasant visit. Welcome back, ma'am. How are you? Went to your blog - at last you up-dated. he he. I first heard 'masuk Jawi' when I went to school in Penang.

Puteri Kamaliah At-Tawaris: he he, if I were the teacher I'd ask; how much he cut?

Bangkai: Nice to have you here, sir. That Malay guy trained in Samurai is Guru Haja ker? It takes a lot of discipline to train in this.

To everyone who dropped by this way, thank you. You be sure to have a nice day now, y'hear?

10:50 PM  
Blogger IBU said...

Sponge Bob suit? You mean the white shirt, tie & short pants? Or just the underwear?

Ohhh... tak comey laaahhh ghaya2 pakai tie.... hehehehe...

9:10 AM  
Blogger MrsNordin said...

This is cute & funny!

However, I tend to diagree with you on women and baju kurung. Somehow I feel that only Malay or Jawi women look good in it. If you're mat salleh, or japenese, or whatever, somehow the picture won't look so good. Like there's something wrong somewhere.

Maybe it's their complexion, maybe it's their body structure, maybe it's their eyes... I don't know. But somehow, to me, the baju kurung would only look picture perfect if it is worn by a jawi woman. Like how a saree would only look best on an Indian lady.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home