Thursday, September 04, 2008

Too Much Feta Cheese Can Make You Miss Budu.

By time I'm done with this job my bank account will have been a pretty thing to look at which has got me thinking the last few days what to do with all that much money. I don't have me a nice calculator to figure out the numbers and so I work out with a short pencil and a piece of paper in this here restaurant while watching the evening crowd go by walking about and around, now that they've had their iftar like a good people that they are.

This is what I've figured, which is not much by your standard on account I don't have an accounting degree to work out the financial cobweb of what I'm gonna do with all this much money. I reckon with all this much money, I'd be able to buy me a sea-front budu manufacturing plant somewhere in the East Coast. With a bit more money I could even afford me a plant with a river by the side so I can go boating in the evening if the complications of budu making process is too much for me to handle in a day. I can even rent out the boat to tourists who may be interested to see how budu is made which I reckon not much different from the kinda tour gentle folks take to cheese factories when they've got a bit of money to spend now that they've paid all their bills and there is no one in town they owe money to except the mayor. I haven't been making phone calls to figure out how much exactly does a sea-front-with-the-river-by-the-side budu manufacturing plant would cost me but I reckon it won't cost me arms and legs to own one under my name, and my logo. In fact I've figured that out too in this here restaurant. I mean the logo. It will have the picture of me smiling as if posing for a toothpaste commercial. I reckon I look good this way now that I've spent quite a bit of money on dental care so as to look good smiling and it would be such a waste not to flash a nice, honest smile so people can buy the budu from me to make me even richer by my standard. Maybe even richer than the guy who owns the feta cheese factory on the outskirt of town where you need to travel quite a bit to get there.

Which is the reason why I'm here in this here restaurant thinking about a new business venture other than gaskets and valves for the oil and gas industry.

Maybe age is catching up. Food doesn't really figure in my routine but this Ramadan, I kinda miss Malay food that I thought of taking the next plane out first light tomorrow. Used to be able to live on goat cheese, feta cheese, olives, kebab, bread for months on end. But yesterday, I craved for IKANG SINGGANG AND BUDU. Where in the world am I supposed to find this in this here country where everything is made of olive? I can cook IKANG SINGGANG but what am I to do with Budu? Which is why I gotta buy me a sea-front budu manufacturing plant.

I miss home.

11 Comments:

Blogger Monster Mom said...

I pity you my friend. Just buy any cheese and pretend you are enjoying your budu..without the smell...

My side dish for today will be sambal belacan and ikan masin....

Yum! Yum!

Sorry mate!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Fauziah Ismail said...

Salam Bergen
If the Japanese can turn the wasabi into powder and add water to turn it into a paste for use, then someone out there should do the same for budu.
Then, people like you who go overseas can take it with you.
But then again, its just not about the budu, right?

9:14 PM  
Blogger ubisetela said...

Give me your address, I'll send you a bottle of budu cap ketereh.

Let me know if you succeed in buying a budu plant and please reserve a bottle from the first batch of Bergen's budu for me.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go on, take the first flight home... btw have a peaceful ramadhan, mr cheesy smile...

6:53 PM  
Blogger Count Byron said...

I dont blame u for missing budu, Berg. Not especially when u'r having ikang singgang. And please do take with u the pucuk gajus/jambu golok too. BTW was your ikang the ikang ayor?
Berg, oh Berg. Really I miss your writing, and I got no one to blame save meself.
Enjoy your Ramadhan there in the cheese&olive land.
The gasket and valves that you now loathe will not fizzle off even if you switch business. Chances is your budu plant will have them too, and the heat-exchanger, the pumps, the boiler, chokes and mandrill and the utilities too.. yes pneumatic and hydraulic.

Just to taunt u my son. No harm meant.

Selamat Berpuasa, semoga selalu di berkati Allah wherever you are.

CB

7:01 AM  
Blogger nadya.s said...

sir berg,
no budu there at where u r now.. i thot.. budu is everywhere. :)

i had murtabak hasbuna yesterday and masak sambal ikan bilis goreng..the simplest dish i know to cook, plus, tempoyak n sambal belacan bekalan dari kg. penyedap nasik kosong..

u should come back, gather all the stock u want..and then return to wherever u come from.

beside the budu plant.. u can buat business ikan sangkar, patin or keli.

have a good ramadhan sir berg. salam dari nad & abah di raub.

10:58 AM  
Blogger AuntieYan said...

Salam Bergen, wherever you are,may Allah bless you.

3:12 PM  
Blogger dith said...

Am sure Amazon.com has it. Buy it online! :p

11:24 PM  
Blogger Jo Kontan said...

Sir Bergeng.

Mana mung ?

I'm sure you've read "Balik laa Wok" by (I think) Ibrahim Mohd Taib.

Salam Ramadhan.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Monster Mom: Go easy on ikan masin. But then again, if it tastes good, it has to be good for you, right?

Fauziah Ismail: You've given me a very interesting idea. The concept of concentrated stuff in powder form has never fail to fascinate me. Thank you, ma'am. I'm on to something.

Ubisetela: There's a new brand; I forget the name. It comes pre-mixed with chili, just add asang lima and you're ready to go. Tastes better too, must the the quality bilis they use.

Anonymous: Wish I could do that but I gotta make some money. hehe.

Count Byron: Sirr!!! What a lovely visit. Oh man, it's been ages. How have you been, Count? And Countess? And your children. Miss you kinda writing, keep 'em coming.

Nadya: Murtabak hasbuna? Now, that's a new one on me. Take picture please, with your Nikon and post it. I gotta see it for real and figure out how to powder it so people in Oslo can just add water to have it like it's meant to be. Be sure to send my salam to your dad and mom when you're back for Raya, y'hear?

Auntie Yan: How are you ma'am? I believe you are busy this Ramadan with your cookings. So tak jadi beli baju ikang duyung? hehe

Doctor In The House: Good to have you here, ma'am!!! How are you and Ikelah. He's into micro lens now, eh? Hari tu sekolah kat Tanjung Api kena histeria. Teruk ke kes tu?

Jokontan: Awok do balik Kuantan rraya ni? Kalu balik jangan berlumba atah jalang raya. he he

To everyone who dropped by this way, thank you so much and Selamat Hari Raya (not too soon).

6:53 PM  
Blogger Saya... said...

OOhhh...I love goat cheese, feta cheese and olives...and budu and tempoyak and everythinglah...syrian goat cheese is heaven.

Nak pi beli lah esok kat kedai Arab kat Ampang...kira sen dulu.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home