Monday, July 03, 2006

Terima Kasih, Puan R_ _ _ _ _ _

You may have had bad experience with government servants manning a counter dealing with members of the public like me who had no choice but to be there at Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara to pick up Aunt Su's MyKad.

It is a simple procedure. You go in, obtain a number and wait. But Puan R who must have been sent from up above saw us to figure right away that Aunt Su wasn't in her pink of health to go through the long wait before she got her MyKad. Out of her own intitiative, Puan R must have did something that made our number to come up ahead of others. This didn't please a lot of people but Puan R said the elderly should be given a special treatment. I waited for anyone to complain in my face but no one did. I guess because of the smile and the way I walked. It didn't take a Hollywood film director to see that I had put on a fully exaggerated humility that could have won me at least a nomination, back bent as if I've got 5 tons of weight on my shoulder. It must have been quite a performance that no one, I repeat, no one said anything about us receiving a special treatment.

I walked Aunt Su to the counter and this Puan R smiled and boy, she got the sweetest smile I had ever seen. She looked lovely in her baju kurung, which matched her tudung. She got the name tag on. That's how I know her name. I said, thank you, ma'am. She said, that's okay, your mother deserves this treatment. And that got Aunt Su to start her sales talk. Yes, he's a nice son, still unmarried you know. Haven't found the right one. Gosh, I was so embarassed because by this time, those who waited started to increase the size of their ears to find out every little bit about me.

On the way out Aunt Su said, why don't you marry her?
LOL, why? So you can have as many Mykad as you want?
We laughed so loud in the car that got us rather hungry.

15 Comments:

Blogger t o r t s said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:54 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

My sister-in-law took my mom for her ic and my mom, on her wheelchair, received similar treatment. It was an Encik something-something who attended to them. Mom was very pleased. Was not there to hear her version of sales talk tho..
The awareness and service level at gomen sector has definitely improved. Thank God!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Lollies said...

now the ads on tv are showing how much more efficient government service is. i remembered 20 years ago, they were educating the public.

i think itis similar for pasport as well. priorities is for the elderly

2:05 PM  
Blogger UglyButAdorable said...

not only for the golden citizens but also the disable peeps. malaysia is still lacking in that aspect.

that aunt of yours..she's so proud of you. bless u berg..

2:36 PM  
Blogger nadya.s said...

berg,
god bless pn.R, aunt su and you.

have a nice day..

5:12 PM  
Blogger AuntieYan said...

En.Bergen, I feel really flattered...(I'm a Gov. servent too..:-)...loooo...the JPN is sooo very near my ofis...if only you drop by, perhaps I could belanja you & Aunt Su Nasi dagang or Nasi berlauk....

p/s:errr...tuuu baru jumpa Puan R...if you jumpa Pn A....guess Aunt Su will be spending more time telling your history...:-)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Torts: I believe generally government servants are friendly. Maybe in some rare cases, but I think the public has something to share to make it difficult for officers to carry out their duty. I've seen members of the public who can be quite a pain that I wish I could just shoot 'em dead. LOL.

Lollies: I hope we are heading in the right direction to being a caring society. Wish this caring thing can be extended to the elderly out on the street too.

UBA: Thank you, UBA. If you know Aunt Su, she's ladyluck personified.

Nadya: Yes, cheers to Puan R. How's your dad?

Ailin: It was lilac and a dark green tudung. I don't want to think about her too much. Might fall in love again. LOL.

AuntieYan: I'm all excited to meet this Puan A. LOL. Introduce me, introduce me...

Thank you for dropping by. Good to have friends like you. Love it!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

All it takes is a little pleasantness to make people laugh :) If only more people realise that.

Hahaha, Aunt Su is still pitching her sales pitch for you, eh?

2:53 PM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

Glad to see that our public service is becoming more civic-conscious. Hope you had a whopper of a meal after that.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Desparil said...

i thought senior citizens have their own special lane/queue?

4:28 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

QOTH: Good thing she's not a good salesperson. LOL.

Blabs: We did, as a matter of fact, ma'am.

Desparil: I didn't see any, sir.

5:45 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

I think they shd get a pat on their back! I was surprised at the efficiency of how things were done when I got my MyKad done. Imagine - 15 minutes flat and we were out of the place! Plus, they actually smiled! How bout that aye? same goes for the Immigration office. they're doing a pretty good job there!

12:30 PM  
Blogger podgykat said...

At least it's "service with a smile" now and more-something to be thankful for! Your aunt sounds like an awesome lady;people who love us always want the best for us though sometimes they resort to peculiar but so adorable ways! Am glad you're doing alright, stop by my blog place sometimes, for some laughs, music and more! Good day to you, Bergen.

2:48 PM  
Blogger dith said...

Bergen-

We've got so much **** from public counters nowadays that once we get people like Puan R, it's like winning a million!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Dr Nurul Bahiyah Baharudin: Ye tak ye jugak kan?

Anedra: Yes, they certainly do. I believe they can be very nice if we start being nice first. Afterall, it won't kill us to be nice to everyone.

Podgykat: Maybe I should reverse the roll. I should sell off Aunt Su to any eligible man her age so she can be happy again married. LOL.

DITH: Yes, you've got it right, ma'am. Puan R is a confident person who's happy with life. I believe she derives so much joy being nice to people and in return, she's happy. A lot of city folks, I notice, are pretty edgy and easily irritable. Must be something in the water. Yes?

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home