Monday, June 19, 2006

You Can Never Win.

That was the fourth time I swept the floor today and it's not even dark yet. It's not windy but the dust keep coming back that I'm thinking of walking around the house in a pair of safety boots so I don't have to feel the coat of dust on my feet. Quite frankly, I'm about to give up on this quarrel with dust in the house.

I learned not to mop the floors too early in the morning because that way the dust would have all day to attack my floors and I'd feel like an idiot thinking, should I mop the floors again or should I just take the broom and sweep the dust off the floors? It's a big issue when you live alone. It can get pretty scary too because at times you feel as if the dust are coming alive to get you. Not just dust alone, you know. Everything in the house is out to get you. Toaster, foodmixer, blender, juicemaker, breadmaker, spoons, cutting board and even my favorite cast iron skillet seems to have a mind of its own these days. I try to avoid opening the fridge to look for something to drink around midnite. Who knows, it might decide to swallow me whole and no one will ever know that I've gone missing. Not that anyone would care but I believe my presence is important too in my own small way. At least I pay my taxes on time and that count for something to some people in some office in Putrajaya or Kompleks Pejabat Kerajaan in Jalan Duta.

Dust is a big issue when you pay attention to its presence underneath the coffee table or hard-to-reach places like underneath the bed. Frankly I don't know how it got there. The house is as good as sealed like a submarine but this isn't good enough. Maybe it got in through the aircond vent. Maybe I should centralize the aircond system and get rid of dust once and for all. At the moment I am thinking of buying a submarine to go live somewhere under the sea where dust can't get to me. By then I will have to deal with sharks.

Maybe dust is better than sharks. I'd hang in there for a while until you come up with a better solution. As for now, lemme go get the broom to sweep the floors for the fifth time. It's going to be a busy evening for me. Good thing I ain't no woman.



Next entry: Getting to know her children (maybe they won't like me as their dad. Maybe I should stay out of this affair. What if they hate me?)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha!!!membebel mengalah pompuan.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bergen,

Go get yourself a hobby or something!!!!

Aida.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

I think that whole area where we live (ie. within a 10km radius of Tesco Mutiara Dsara) should be renamed Kota Habuk Damansara. I too, battled the stubborn dust even despite sealing almost every little crevice and creak in the doors, windows, etc. After a while, I gave up sweeping and mopping and resorted to the trusty vacuum instead. You could literally hear me cackle out loud in the house "You can run but you can't hiiiiiiide!!!" like a crazed woman. But then, after being in Egypt for close to two weeks now, I've encountered a whole new type of dust altogether. And I know this is a battle I will surely lose even before I start!! :(

5:34 PM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

oh itu baru habuk, belum benda2 melekit that only a kid can make.

get the magiclean mop! the one with the disposable tissue.

regards,
makcik "gila lantai"

5:53 PM  
Blogger maklang said...

Nasib baik my new bibik ni rajin mengepel (mop!). Lega....

Plus, me and the rest care if you were missing...tengok masa you were gone hari tu, ramai yang tercari2...

*smile*

8:56 PM  
Blogger ROYAL JESTER said...

Is this why you're so into domestic things and trying to blog from your feminine side?To win a woman's heart and her kids?From a stranger's point of view, you're doing spledidly well!

Your area is still being developed and that results in a lot of dust coming from the construction sites. Vacuuming is the temporary answer, better than sweeping. Good luck with your battle!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

i was about to ask you to consult nazrah on this. She is the pro-mop anti dust expert. But i see that she is the in house consultant here.

ps. have we met or do we need to be introduced..i.e. the owner of this blog?

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vacuum away bergenia..err..or is it bergen?

.....i'm still recovering from the heebeejeebies i got from last post

9:58 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

yes, bergen..go have a serious tete a tete with Nazrah. She's a pro on this. Just have one look at her floor and you'll know what Kak Teh and I mean!!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

i hate dust because dust bunnies are made of dust and dust bunnies are scary!

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend is a single mom. please marry her she is pretty.

N

6:08 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

laa .. bergenia stuff is really getting into you.

Why the hesitation - go tackle them all. 'You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.'

9:04 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Pugnacious Pudenda: I do? LOL.

Anonymous: Okay, I'm going to go figure a hobby like origami. Or something.

Blabs: It's a battle we're not supposed to win. But it has to be done, sometimes 5 times a day. It's nature's way of getting back at us for being careless with rainforest. (Rainforest?)

Nazrah: Didn't figure that this entry would uncover this side of you, ma'am. Glad it did though. Salute for someone with this much passion for lantai. Wow.

Maklang: Good to see you back in your original version instead of Maklan. Otherwise burun hitan terban malan, dan nyamak membron.

Pu1Pu3: It's a walk on the other side, ma'am. Minus the risk of developing anything outwardly prominent.

Kak Teh: Yes, ma'am. We need to be introduced. I believe we haven't met. And yes, I am the owner of this blog, ma'am.

Hemu2: Yes, ma'am, vacuum away like it is meant to be.

Anedra: Yes, ma'am. She's something else when it comes to things floor, ain't it. Wow.

Ariel: Yes, ma'am. I was caught in sandstorms many times to know that it is scary. Maybe more scary than being caught in a windstorm or water-related storm. Dust is scary.

Anonymous: Introduce me! Introduce me!

Torts: Yes, ma'am. I think I can find my way into their hearts. Will figure a way.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home