Monday, July 19, 2010

We Go Down Good.

I can't tell for sure if old folks are no longer dying of old age. I don't get to hear about them go down as often as I hear about folks as young as in their 20s dying of ordinary things like headache, chest pain, indigestion and pneumonia. I don't hear about old folks dying of serious illnesses like the head exploding into a fireball.
In less than sixty days, I got the SMS about three young folks in their 30s who went down in their sleep, leaving behind a life they had lived up to their age, and the missus with children still in their pre-school. One went down with pneumonia leaving behind his daddy and mommy in their 60s who had to get over losing the only son they had hoped he'd marry a nice girl, have children and live the life of a middle income married couple in an egalitarian society where everything we own is gotten by credit.
I also received an SMS from a dad who had lost his son in a car accident coming home from watching football game with friends at a mamak corner. A young kid barely into his 20s leaving behind a mommy who could no longer cry for losing a son she had hoped to grow up to be a man, a husband and a dad like his daddy but all that is gone in second.
Young folks, like you. Not me. Because I am as old as the old man can get and like all the old men my age, I got almost everything a man my age is supposed to have like blood pressure that's a little on the high side that I gotta pop Exforge to control it. Cresto to control the bad cholestrol. But these are not doing me any good because I keep eating what I like to eat and I run and swim and cycle whenever I can, but I know for sure all this is not enough to bring back all the vigor of my youth. All I can hope is to be able to do the things I do while I can and hope that I go down before my muscles do me in. But I know for sure I can only hope. What's in store for me, I really have no idea.

I visited kamabakar while writing this and learnt about Dalilah aka Raden Galoh. She texted me about how I gotta eat well to undergo chemo. About the Ayat Qur'an she recited to help her through. About cancer. About being strong. About fighting it out. About the things I needed to know about how to deal with cancer. Thank you, ma'am.

7 Comments:

Blogger zackzara said...

Salam Sir,

Death is certain. It does not pick & choose certain number, yet it does give out any warning to certain people (those terminally ill are excepted). Yesterday I received sms from my bro who's 23yo saying that he lost his best friend due to a sudden death. He was warded in ICU for less than 3days for doc suspect him as heavy smoker. And he's gone. Just like that.

Of late, we receive lotsa bad news. :-(

May we still be able to wake up tomorrow, Sir. Till then, do take care.

-zara-

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Good morning Sir.

I myself lost two colleagues in the last 30 days. One in a car crash on his way to the airport to pick up his airport pass, and another one yesterday morning due to illness. Both in their 30s. Al-Fatihah, God bless their soul. Your post is indeed refreshing, makes me realized how short life can be, and at the same time i wonder what would it be like for me when my time comes. I just wish that i go down good.

You have a good day Sir. Eat well and sleep well.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous mm said...

G'day berg,

With all these sad facts of life, it does remind me to live and face life at the present moment, for yesterday is gone and tomorrrow is yet to be here..Gotta live with the mantra.. don't worry, be happy...


cheers.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Justiffa said...

Yup lets all pray that when we do go down, we go down good.

Insyallah :)

Take care bergen n all the very best with the big C.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Fauziah Ismail said...

Salam Bergen
If God had willed it that way, then we have to accept it.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

remembering death, is another blessing from Him, for those who'd do the necessary - in anticipation, masyaallah. compare that to a sudden death to those yang leka..

8:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Friday, July 23, 2010
Good Day To Die ... I dunno how to link this but see it at zaharan.blogspot.com.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home