Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Afternoon Assembly.

Miss Radha the headmistress says I'm the first pupil in the history of the school to be caned in public for locking up an old man who is the school librarian. People in the assembly are laughing which got Miss Radha kinda mad because she says this is no laughing matter and that we all should be ashamed of ourselves for finding this incident funny. And so she starts on a long winded speech about what could have happened if the library had caught fire with the poor librarian trapped inside because I had coiled the door-knobs together with a wire.

I stand on the stage facing the assembly of students in the afternoon session listening to Miss Radha speaking on a microphone which is an indication that this is a serious assembly because every one knows the school will only put out the microphone when Miss Radha has important message which she delivers in a long winded speech about the importance of virtue, rules, education and how we can all become prime minister one day if we put our mind to it. But today she is very sad to learn that the library, the very place where every great journey in life should begin has been treated with utter disrespect that it nearly kill an old man of a heart attack. This is a serious offence and the school may find it fit to expel me, or have me transferred to another school, provided there is a school in Penang that would accept me. Otherwise, the school will have to recommend to the state that I be sent to a reform institution as the last resort. This scares me quite a bit but I put up a tough front knowing only too well that I've gotta deal with this alone. Yusof and Siva are not involved. There were there with me but they took off when the librarian started to sound as if he was dying while trying to push the door open from inside. I thought he was dying too which scared me quite a bit that I figured I'd better unwind the wire that I had coiled around the door-knobs before the old man decided that an evening like this was as good as any to die as a librarian. And that's when the janitor caught me. Which is why I'm now standing on the stage ready to be caned by Mr Thomas Khor.

Maybe you've never been caned in public before but lemme tell you this; a whack to the bottom is the same as the whack you get in the office, or the teacher's room, or in front of a class. I know a lot of boys who can take a whack better than I do but most of them prefer to receive their share of the whack in private, not in front of the whole school, in front of the girls. Lemme tell you this; they don't know nothing. A whack in public is a high-class show where you're the tough guy. And you know how it is with tough guys, they don't cry. Which is why a lot of boys prefer to be whacked in private.
Today, I cry a little on the third whack. Two more whacks to go but I can't hold back the tears from coming out little by little like a drop of dew. No, not because of the pain. I cry because suddenly I feel so alone on a stage in front of the entire afternoon assembly.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!

12:48 AM  
Blogger tokasid said...

Salam Bergen:

You did that to the librarian? Now I am curious why yu did that. There must be something about the librarian or the library to this episode.

Getting the rod anywhere is the same. Somehow the whole school will get to know. Used to get caned for making noise in class and for not memorising the English poems which you have to recite in front of the class.The pain is the same. But the degree of embarassement if different. The budak2 nakal will praise and you get lots of respects from them. You become their unsung hero. But the budak2 baik will somehow look at you like someone with leprosy and must be avoided at all cost.

Thats the generalisation that Malaysians have(and this is why many ex-convicys and addicts have difficulty to get back into the society)

Wondering what Anita thought about the whle episode( the librarian and caning)

1:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am gonna ask the same question doc asked, why in heaven did you do that? Did he make a pass at you?
Yeah, like doc said, the goodie2 boys will look at you as if you are a leper.
There were quite a few public cannings in BMHS when I was studying there. Hell, man, they whacked real hard and no, I wasn't one of those whacked.

2:29 AM  
Blogger k.d said...

Hmmm...why are you in Penang? Why aren't you in Dungun? What happened to Aunt and Grandma?

Ooohh..I'm so confused...Did I miss a few episodes?

Heheh....nakal nye..

I locked my maid in her room when I was small...and then I went to school...Naughty tak...Ish..ish..

6:39 AM  
Blogger Monster Mom said...

Kesiannyer but at the same time, awat yg nakai sangat???

6:14 PM  
Blogger IBU said...

What were you thinking?!! Why the librarian in the library? There was only one library kan? Cam mana students lain nak masuk?

Should have chosen the gardener while he was in the store room.

Hehehehe.....

9:04 AM  
Blogger Mek Na said...

i can understand how u felt that time but y the librarian? curious.

u r not alone. i used to get pinched kat perut in front of the class by miss anna, the english teacher due to wrong spelling masa darjah 4 :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger zackzara said...

Perhaps you locked the librarian in the library simply because he is a librarian and he ought to take care of the library and then he ought to read all the books in the library so when he comes out of the library you need not have to go to the library again to read up the book and being penalised if you did not return the book on time .. instead just make him as your reference. It could be the reason..but come to think of it in "budak2 baik" way of thinking... 'why the librarian?' But still.. I like this entry ;)

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam Sir Bergen! Wow!? How could you do that knowing you might lose the attention of your 'marka jambu'? Or is it part of the strategy? i.e.,'reverse psychology'? Looking forward to see the 'fallout' of this incident...

10:56 PM  
Blogger dee3 said...

have you ever wondered why certain actions were made at the instance and to be regretted later?

sometimes i do.
especially when the situation's looming.

dunno why, guess its a bit of depression glowering over. or remorse? i dunno.

your previous entry in which flashes of dungun, grandma, aunt, the Azan from the mosque behind the house... that brought tears to my eyes. touching. and what's more, it still haunts you.

thank you for sharing.

12:00 PM  
Blogger mad redo1 said...

uuuuu... I would be one of the budak baik that smiled whenever the cane whacked the offender, who most of the time already had five layers of underwear to insulate their butts... one good thing about being a budak baik was you would be the last person to be suspected for any naughty pranks that you pull... hehehe...

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home