Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Nothing To Be Cynical About.

Hell isn't the place where they send middle age blog writers like you who suspect everything, bitter with the world, and at war with the decadent society. And I'm sure it is not a sin to be suspicious of every government project under the sun if you were at one time in your life, a Chief Operating Officer of a GLCs who had to make way for the new generation of managers who took over your job which left you with no choice but to accept the VSSs. And so you rack your brain for a way of starting a profitable business to sustain the lifestyle you were used to. But day after day you began to realise that it is not easy to go into a business with a mindset of a guy who are so used to monthly salary, fat bonuses, profit sharing and stock option. You also realise that friends who promise to back you up in your future plans are busy with the politics of insulating themselves from being taken over by the newer generation of managers.
And so you retreated to your own corner of the world with bitterness and hatred in your heart, ready to pounce on anyone with a different view, or to find fault with everything around you. Under such circumstances, it is only natural that you find solace in religion, to substantiate your argument with this ayat and that ayat which you have just discovered in the translation of the Qur'an. You began to take an interest in the hereafter and develop a mild aversion to things duniawi, and to find fault with everything, including the Smart Tunnel.
You are angry. You've been had, by none other than the very people you voted in the last general election. And so you figured why is everyone so stupid not to see the big picture? Why is everyone so docile, not as angry as you are with the issues that have been bugging the country the last couple of years. Why is everyone willing to allow this country to go this far down in cronyism and nepotism? Why isn't everyone willing to take their anger to the street to bring down this government and replace it with a new one? Why?Why? Why?
And you look in the translation of the Qur'an and arrived at the conclusion that you are the 'ya ayyuhallazina'amanu...' and the rest are the 'munafiqun' 'fasiqun' and 'kafirun'. And boy, that makes you feel good. Because you are not the corrupting kind, or the sucking up kind, or the kind who make a lot of money on the side fleecing the suppliers and the contractors blind for cash or kind. And you fill your heart with the ideals of salvation. And how this world is heading straight for destruction at break neck speed.
You are angry.
And so when the big guy says, The-Tunnel-Works-With-The-Rest-Of-The-Components, you get even angrier, feeling once again, you've been had for the third time and there's nothing you can do about it. And you bet tomorrow, the big guy is going to say, we are going to increase the toll to RM400.00 one way, and we are going to build 40 more tunnels and one of them will run right under your house. By this time your blood goes up and well, well, well, what have we got here? Congratulations, mate, you are now a Cynic. It's not the same as Bionic but it's quite close, phonetically, that is.
I'm not the kind who dispense advice to angry middle age guys like you. Neither do I care if your blood goes up, but as fellow bloggers, I gotta show my human side and say what John Lennon used to say when he was an angry middle age guy: ...all we're sayin', give the tunnel a chaynce...
Whaddaya say?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hoist the mizzen and swing the lead! tis UNBELIEVABLE' th' tunnel will be ready a week ahead o' time! talk about speeding things up, u gotta give 'em a chaynce. Let's just hope th' rain won't come three days afore. Avast ye scarvy scum"

3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am angry too..and angry about the tunnel too...about the manipulation...about the lies in between every nice projects...but will it help if I vent my anger? Will they hear me? I'm wondering...

4:16 PM  
Blogger zewt said...

take our anger to the streets? i dowan to end up in some detention camp dude.

i am kinda lost after reading this... are you asking us to vent our anger or give the it a chance?

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a lot to say to vent my anger and frustration,Bergen. To the point that I am gonna flood this great blog of yours with my senile and dull insinuations!:)

I am in my fourth year of when life begins. While still in the Fifth form decades ago, I earned my first sweats and tears' pay of about RM1k. At 19, I was the youngest civil servant to get a RM2000 paycheck at the end of the month. Then I moved to greener pastures making a career move into an oil and gas MNC at age 27 with a RM4000 monthly salary plus 2 months bonus annually. Nine years later and at RM6k salary scale, I simply gave it all up when oil prices almost dipped below USD10 (to help the 'giant' Company cut down costs!). After a few months of being an insurance 'self-employed' agent, got lucky to switch to supplies and struck a quarter of a million governmental project that(after Profit and Loss minuses) only broke dead even!

Then it was time to move on as a corporate training facilitator.A couple of years doing odd 'adhoc' freelancing (But I always ended providing my services FOC!), I then crossed the 'Righteous' path with "Jemaah Tabligh" working for the Almighty, ALHAMDULLILLAH!

But as fate would have it, I went back into oil and gas industry, gaining employment in a Service Provider MNC which paid a fraction lower than my previous 'Upstream-Downstream' giant. I only lasted more than a year due to too much office politics! Thanks again to the Almighty,I landed a Management position in so-called 'continuous learning' environment.

And now, I am again contemplating to go back to my roots ("Balik ke Pangkal Jalan Allah") because I am beginning to realise that "Khuruj Fisabillillah" is the 'Penultimate Career' in this temporary world and in the Hereafter ("Insya Allah")! However, I have to duly consider my teenaged son's and young daughter's future. I have been neglecting them both for so long although I did spend real quality time and 'Super-Dad and Kiddos' bonding stuff during my transition years of 'Mid-Life Crisis affliction'! :) Still, my heart and mind always keep telling me "Rezeki ada di mana-mana"...:)

The "Qada' dan Qadar" Principle of Islamic Faith or "Rukun Iman" is indeed one of the mysterious ways of how God works in Miracles!

As they say, behind every dark cloud there is always a silver lining and "Ada hikmah disebalik apa yang berlaku dan menimpa kita" Blessings in disguise,nonetheless.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awang Kelana,

It was called SMART tunnel for a reason.SMART to impose upon whosoever that decide to built it to decide for it ,so that they be assoc with smart idea everytime SMART tunnel is mention.

Named SMART for all rakyat to think that the gov had come out with one smart idea.

Named it SMART so that the billion spent would sound like a smart idea.

But at the end of the day is just suppose to be a SMART hole!

But then,There is one smarter hole at the other end of our mouth which refused highbilling name like SMART**#hole.

To me it work the same way.When these two holes refuse to work everything else does not matter....it's a simple concept that couldnt get through the thick numbskull of the planner that the everyhole must let things past thru....be it in any state of matter.Get It???

10:28 PM  
Blogger eva's haven said...

bergen,

aint such a smart ass of a tunnel, aye?

11:05 PM  
Blogger IBU said...

The news on air this morning, verbalised the so-called solution to be "menelan belanja" up to bla..bla..

MENELAN BELANJA!! Spot on.

Siapa yang menelan siapa punya belanja? Grrr ....

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bergen,
Finally it dawned upon me the reason the flood water decided not to take the route through SMART#@$hole ....it was the doing of none other, Mr Samy V the Poet.

See,The floodwater was doing the thinking ,here I am the freeflowing master of disaster with houses ,banks and shops at my disposal and riverbank overflowing with my generousity and someone in higher offices got the cheek of asking this Mr Poet to do the dealing (as he was in honeymooning mood) with me.
And this Mr Poet decided ,out of his infinite stupidity (Einstein warned people of this)decided to negotiate with Mr Floodwater with regards to toll charges.It was obvious Mr Floodwater disagree with him and yet Mr Poet decided to increase the toll charges for the passage through SMART#$%hole the next time Mr Floodwater decided to travel thru KL.

Little did he realised that Mr FW has the birth right to that SMART#$%hole.

9:49 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Salam En Bergen,

Although the first part of your entry really hit hard on my head, but I am not angry with the tunnel, LOL. Since of course, it does not affect me being so far away from that tunnel ( a blessing right?)

This comment is just a subtle way to let you know that I had just updated my blog. Thanks for comong by my blog even though there was no update.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

E: You should connect with The Ancient Mariner. He's got entries I find really captivating. His stories of the seas fire my imagination. Are you a seaman?

Raden Galoh: No, they are not listening now, perhaps they never will...(Hmmm, this line sounds familiar...)

Zewt: You're not alone. No one in his or right frame of mind would wanna risk being hauled up for something he or she believes in. We are not made that way, we are not trained to stand up for what we believe in. We are made to agree with everything. It's a perfect place we're living in. It's a wonderful life here. It's better by far than any countries in the whole wide world.

Duniawiakhrawi: Thank you for sharing. Really, I don't know how to respond to this, but I got you. I hear you.

Awang Kelana: You sound like an engineer. Are you?

Eva's Heaven: Maybe the tunnel is ahead of its time. LOL.

Ibu: Wish I'm one of the contractors. LOL. Yes, I'm serious.

Anonymous: I read about the poet thing but I'm not much of a poetry kinda so I don't really know how to react to this. LOL.

AuntyN: Good to have you back on blogging again. I hope everthing is gonna turn out all right with the plans you're making.

To everyone who came by this way to participate in this tunnel thing, I thank you for coming. You be sure to have a nice day now, y'hear? If you're going to the city by way of the tunnel remember, the truth is somewhere out there

11:01 PM  
Blogger zewt said...

that's far too cynical my friend.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home