Monday, June 12, 2006

These Boots Are Made For Walkin'

At times like these, I can't answer you precisely which is worse; to get into a relationship or to get out of one. Maybe it is easier to walk out of a marriage than to free yourself from a romance that started in folly and by the look of it, will end in a disaster. It is probably easier to pack a suitcase of clothes and walk out of a marriage and keep going until you reach some distant place you consider a nice spot to get into a relationship with a woman you meet in a bar, write a book, and move on again, walking out of yet another relationship the way you have walked out on others like her. I am no Hemingway to be doing something like this. Anyone can tell you it's not good to do this sort of thing because you may end up just like him, blowing the brains out with a double barrel shotgun somewhere in a cabin up a mountain where the noise won't bother no one.

If there's a lesson I can learn from the kind of lifestyle Hemingway used to lead it's this; that you can't go on and on looking for that perfect someone to fall in love with and live happily ever after. Maybe I've been doing this too long. Or that perfect someone exists only in my mind, this Elizabeth Taylor-like person who I figure would have all the attributes of the screen idol I saw for the first time when I couldn't even pronounce her name correctly. Or maybe this perfect marriage that I have created in my mind doesn't exist in the real world, the world where people put on weight and worry about rising cost of living.

It would be a lie for me to tell you that I don't feel anything out of this brief fling with this someone with whom I have received a total of 70 sms over the last few days. In a lot of ways, I am glad it ended this way. It took quite a lot to put everything in perspective. To lay it all down so she could see that this is not the way it's supposed to be. It's simply wrong. It ain't right. And I for one don't want to break the rules when it comes to falling in love with someone else's missus. Any fool can see that the whole thing will end up in a mess. And a lot of hearts are going to be broken. So rather than breaking a lot of innocent hearts, I figure it is much much better to break her heart with the fact that; no, ma'am, I am not in love with you. I was being nice the way I always do with people, especially women. And a lot of women will tell you that I am extra nice with women, especially pretty ones. Especially so with those with Elizabeth Taylor look. I am born this way and there is nothing I can do about it.

I hope all this will end without untoward incident. Maybe I'm gonna be in a lot of trouble over this. So if you find my blog is not being updated on time, you know that I have caught the first plane out on a one-way trip to destination unknown. At times like these, I am even willing to trade places with those Malaysians being held captive in Sudan. I like the Sudanese. And I like the food. But it's not a place to stay around long because I prefer Tehran. Women are prettier there.

I'm out of here.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ariel said...

And that's just what they'll do.

4:48 PM  
Blogger ubisetela said...

I'm hope you don't have to leave, sir. If you need to, go some place with internet connection! :)

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,
At this moment, there are about 6 billion people in the world. Some are running scared. Some are coming home. Some tell lies to make it through the day. Others are just now facing the truth. Some are evil men, that war with good. And some are good, struggling with evil. 6 billion people in the world. 6 billion souls. And sometimes, all you need is one.For better or for worse…

5:21 PM  
Blogger tee said...

how's ur new venture..does it require u to fly? don't go too long, kay coz we'll miss u, sir.
good luck,niway.. :)

5:28 PM  
Blogger k.d said...

Hmm..and so it end. You must be one charming guy when it comes to women for this to happen. Come to think of it, most that read your blog are women.

Well,well,well...charming and righteous. You are diamond in the rough! Well Mr. Bergen I hope you got the girl and I hope she is the one who will make you go head over heels in love and make your heart go pitter patter everytime you see her.

And where are you off to anyway? Wherever that is, safe journey and safe return.

7:09 PM  
Blogger UglyButAdorable said...

*present*

7:22 PM  
Blogger LifeBloom said...

"If there's a lesson ...........it's this; that you can't go on and on looking for that perfect someone to fall in love with and live happily ever after."

- That is a great lesson!!

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you feel something - you're only human. Should I say that I know what you're goin thru? Been exchanging hundred msgs everyday for almost a year & I stop recently knowing it ain't right! And you are now feeling miserable too since he/she has already touch your heart...

7:55 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

No need to go anywhere. Just draw the curtain, put the music, way down low, don't answer any call or even open the door to anyone.

Be a hermit in your own home lah (hope you will not die of suffocation that's all) :-)

Whatever, take care.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Ariel: I like chukka boots. They are very comfortable.

Ubisetela: No, ma'am. I ain't leaving for some place where they ain't got no internet connection.

Girl From Ipanema: That's all I need, just one. All I need.

Tee: You say nice things, ma'am. Thank you.

K.D: Will figure something out.

UDA: Oh there you are, ma'am.

Lifebloom: Gotta learn something.

Rad: I figured I'd better stop it before I'm in it too deep.

AuntynN: Lemme see, about the the music, that is. Well, my collection of music is mostly hard hitting, drum splitting rock.

Nobee: Yup, it ain't like the PC where you Control Z will undo everything.

To everyone who came in for a visit, thank you. And have a nice day. BTW,
please don't fall in love with someone else's missus, or hubby. But if you can't help it, there's nothing I can do about it. It's a free country. Well, good luck.

12:45 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

we gotto get real. you r doing fine mister, u r.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Torts: That's all that matters, do the right thing.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home