Thursday, April 20, 2006

Why I Find Blogging Fascinating.

Being addicted to something can land you into trouble. It could be a small trouble, or a big one needing somekind of therapy to get you off the hook. Depending on who you talk to, some treatment may require you to mandi bunga, or run around the padang seven times in a kain ssahang no bigger than a handkerchief all the time saying to yourself, Mary Had A Little Lamb, or something more Asian like, Lap Ta Li Lap Tam Plom.

Every junkie will readily admit that he or she is in total control of the situation. That's the first sign of being addicted to something. Denial. And this may go on for weeks on end. Or months. Living in a constant state of denial. Believing that he or she can get this off as and when he or she wants to. It's not a big deal. But you know better this isn't so.

What do you call this if it isn't an addiction already when I need to login to the Internet first thing in the morning on my way to the kitchen to make coffee? A normal person wouldn't be thinking about the Internet first thing in the morning when he gets up from a deep slumber that took him half way around the world in a dream package tour. This blogging thing has gotten to me real good that it scares me a little thinking, will I end up in a blogging mayo clinic that will drain all my savings to see me through? Or will I have to pay good money to shake off this addiction at Blogging Anonymous session? I have to think about this in economic terms to make me see better the seriousness of this addiction and that I should do something about it. Tomorrow. I stil have a few entries to work on today. I promise. Tomorrow.

That's another sign of addiction, procrastination. Putting off something that should be done today indefinitely. The time frame 'tomorrow' thing is just a way of giving me an illusive sense of urgency so I can feel better that yes, I am taking charge of my life again and I won't let blogging get in the way of my effort to do something important in life. At least once. Like inventing a way how to do pre-tenderized roast lamb under 5 minutes.

And that's another sign of serious addiction. This crazy notion to be a great person with big ideas. Ideas that can change the lifestyle of a suburban middle-class family. Changing the way they eat dinner, or watch TV. I don't know what this big idea is yet. I'll go figure but until that happens, let me finish this entry first. And then I do something about this addiction thing. If it is an addiction at all, that is. No this is not denial. It's something else that I don't have a word for yet. I'll go figure that too.

And there you go. Another sign of addiction. Trying to do a million thing but never get around to doing a single thing. Let's see the list of things I have been meaning to do since this blogging thing got in a way.

  1. Call a spare part shop in Puchong about that water pump for that Volvo I am trying to restore.
  2. Figure a way how to re-route the pipe from the washing machine so it goes directly into the discharge valve somewhere underneath the sink or some place.
  3. Get groceries.
  4. Wait I've gotten groceries a few days ago.
  5. Get fresh vegetables. I need some of that.
  6. Get fresh fruits.
  7. Figure a formula to start this business that have been formenting in my head.
  8. Learn the new tricks from Illustrator CS tutorial.
  9. Try some effects that I haven't quite figured in Photoshop.
  10. Learn how to speak Spanish.
  11. Design a bridge.
  12. Work out the restoration schedule for this Volvo.
  13. Check the undercarriage for leaks the Volvo I just got from a doctor in Klang.
  14. Design a glass pool with eternity edge. Who knows some developer somewhere may find it attractive. And I can become famous.
  15. Figure a recipe for chicken to counter the latest KFC's chicken chop promotion.
  16. Figure how to do steak burger that cost less than RM1.50.
  17. Figure the layout for a breakfast setting of a restaurant.
  18. Revolutionize the design of christmas tree so the drilling operation can be more efficient now that the President of Iran has threatened to push the price up.
  19. Design the rotor blades of a helicopter.
  20. Better still design a helicopter without rotor blades.
  21. Fall in love.
  22. Get married.
  23. Wait. Get the design of the Samurai suit to wear to my wedding.
  24. Stop writing this list and get back to blogging.
I am not a junkie. I am not a junkie. I am not a junkie. I am not. I just have to blog every day. What else to do when you don't have a day time job?

Next entry, the positive effects of blogging. I can name one; you make friends.

22 Comments:

Blogger anggerik merah said...

Sir Berg,
I can't deny that I am edicted to blogging. Maybe because I am alone at the moment.
Will wait for yr next entry on positive blogging.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Mama Sarah said...

i'm not a junkie, i'm not a junkie, i'm not a junkie? (is it working yet?)

i have to say, you hit the nail on the head. just to add from my side, i've gained a couple of pounds already :(

and i've only started blogging since feb-march? this is no good...

10:30 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Wah!!, such a long TO DO list. OMG!!

So what if we are a blogging junkie. I have come to term with that a long time ago. Like you, I turn on my PC before I go to work and before I go to sleep. Hubby finds it strange and now if arguent starts, the time I spent in front of the PC will become one of the prime "war" issue. hehehe

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TESCO! TESCO! TESCO!

:)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I used to be just like you, Bergen when I was unemployed for two months. My blog is my therapy and it's a great place to make new friends. They boost up your morale.

However, the obvious negative side of blogging is when you used your real identity in the blog, plus people could recognise you in the real world, and the people you wrote about in your blog got to read the postings too, you'll get this awkward feelings afterwards. The next thing you know, you are more cautious in your postings.

Well, that's what I'm experiencing so far.

1:23 AM  
Blogger MA said...

Welcome to the Club.

There are many positive effects from blogging, one like you mentioned - we make friends. Like they said you can't choose family but you can choose friends.

We also learn about how other people live their lives, why people do things the way they do.

But on the other hand, there are other negative aspects - one like what Liza mentioned. And being anonymous also draw out a lot of unwanted attention. People are curious about you - and the feelings can be very unpleasant especially if you are a private person.

And the things people can do and say in blogsphere...it's endless.

Good luck with your To-Do List :-)

7:44 AM  
Blogger UglyButAdorable said...

well it's true blogging can be very addictive. i find myself always thinking of wht to blog about today or jotting down some facts if i dun have the pc when i get the so call 'ilham'. but above all i would like to improve my writing and i'm fascinated with bloggers who blogs from the heart and with passion like yurself..:)

7:47 AM  
Blogger Justiffa said...

i dunno berg, to me its just a great interactive way to keep a journal and reinforces the fact that we're all interconnected somehow & never really alone.

8:43 AM  
Blogger dee3 said...

:)) *very VERY big hearty laugh*

DENIAL is not only for the bloggers themselves, but for people who drops by and READ 'em too!

isn't this a lovely world we live in... where denial is accepted and procastination practically dictates what's happening in REAL time?

blogs that are fun to read are those that captures the heart-strings and renders captivation as the readers can relate to them indefinitely. if NOT, then it's learning something new :)

so now, those days without internet access sure seems bliss, don't they? :p

ps. if i remember correctly, en. bergen enrolled in a uni course, right? how come that's not on the list?

9:53 AM  
Blogger ROYAL JESTER said...

I've been hit by the bug. My mind goes into overdrive with lots of things to write and the most creative way to jot it down. I just enjoy it. Addiction or no addiction, it makes my life 'berseri' lagi.hehehe
& it improves my knowledge. So I think we should call it a healthy addiction (if you tolak all the negative parts). Betul tak?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a list of blogsites that I simply HAVE to visit and read every day..if that does not spell addicted with a capital A, I don't know what it is. :P
...and guess what Mr B, bergen test is on top of the list.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

I told myself I needed to go on a hiatus. I went silent. That lasted for all of 3 days after which I start another blog (initially it was a secret blog but those things don't last for too long now do they?). That one is now the blog you read at blogspot.

And then, a few days back I went back to my old blog (first one..a lot of sentimental value attached to it)and felt a kind of kesedihan at leaving it untended to for so long (7 months) that I started blogging there as well.

If I don't update my blog, my conscience nags at me..I dunno why...it's not as if people would die if they don't read my entries.. Dunnolah..maybe it's this exhibitionist streak thing...

Anyways, now I have 2 blogs to upkeep and a day job. I'm addicted and miserable.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

I am not a junkie. I am not a junkie. I am not a junkie.

I am just a compulsive blogger. That ain't no sin. Just a compulsive blogger. It aint the same as a compulsive gambler. It ain't the same.

Blogging gets me motivated to learn English. At least now I know how to use past participle, present perfect tense, present perfect continous tense.

Blogging is good. Blogging is good.

I ain't no junkie. I ain't.

(No, this ain't no denial.)

Bergen <---- working furiously on the next entry before I sign up for Blogging Anonymous. Tomorrow.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

bergen sir, *if you feel like coming out of the closet and spilling the beans is too much, you could post your confession to to
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/


*grin*

*I have too graphic a mind to not have laughed as I typed this.

12:10 PM  
Blogger edrina said...

I'm not addicted to blog...and sometimes I dun even care to update my blog. Just now I deleted my blog due to some stupid things created by people surround me..

BUT few years back I'm addicted chatting in MiRC.. That was when I'm still unemployed..

2:02 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Bergen, I kinda linked to you in my entry today. I hope you won't mind. I am having blogger's anxiety (wanna blog and read blogs but no time to do them both) :(

And if you decide to go into Blogging Anonymous, I'm sure many of us here will be keeping you company.

4:37 PM  
Blogger maklang said...

Bergen, this is from the previous entry. What do you mean by 'getting lost in a school padang'?

I am lost now!!!

Blogging is good like you said, you make friends with everyone tak kira tua muda, kaya or miskin...

10:18 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Anggerik Merah: There is a mild connection between being alone and getting hooked on blogging. I know I'm one of the classic case.

Mama Sarah: Now that's another connection. Blogging and weight gain. So far I haven't gained any. But that's because I haven't been eating very well. I am be too busy blogging to cook something decent.

Dr Nurul Bahiyah Baharudin: De-stress is a good word. It sounds scientific as a therapy.

AuntyN: The list is actually longer but I haven't get around to do something about any of them. I'm too busy blogging.

Girl From Ipanema: Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

Liza: Your experience is a guide for me, ma'am. Thank you for sharing. I've read your entry on daffodil.

Mak Andeh: I reckon sooner or later I am going to have to reveal myself. I can't lead this Zorro kinda life too long.

UBA: You say nice things, ma'am. Thank you.

Red Kebaya: Yup, I'm on the same page with you on being connected thing. At this age it is quite difficult to make new friends in the real world. Blogging allows you to meet new people and hopefully somewhere along the way make new friends.

Dee3: Yes, ma'am. I planned to get me a university degree but I'm too busy to pursue that now. LOL.

Pu1Pu3: There's two sides to everything. The Ying and Yang. So I reckon there's a positive side to being addicted to blogging too. You've figured it correctly. I feel better now.

Hemu2: You have made me want to consider blogging full-time. Thank you for the honor, ma'am.

Ariel: Tha's double addiction, ma'am. You are in this real deep, aren't you?

Thinktankgal: Yes, ma'am. The least I can do to a damsel in distress or she be famished and might blame me for it.

Bergen: Keep saying that for another 2,300 times, please. And keep it quiet for heaven's sake!

Ariel: Will consider, ma'am.

Edyrina: Yes, I've noticed that. Couldn't get through your blog today. Sorry to hear that.

Moon: Yes, ma'am. Dr Nurul call it de-stress therapy.

QOTH: We are on the same page on this one, your majesty.

Maklang: It's the reply to your comment on the entry 'Petaling Jaya' i.e you said something like come live where you are which Kertih, right?

If someone can get lost in Kertih chances are he or she will be lost looking for a direction in a school padang. Maybe I need to rephrase my sentence. Give me time to work this out, I am learning about independent and dependent clause. I can't quite figure it out yet. Will learn it up tonight.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Ely said...

got here thru QOTH's airline. just one statement from me...

'blog addiction??? whats that???'

12:37 AM  
Blogger Sayuti said...

i am.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Bergen,

Way too deep to crawl back out and restore things to normal. It's ok..I'm addicted to being miserable as well. I'll live.
:-)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Ely: It's just something I'm trying to make it sound scientific.

Sayuti: Nothing to be ashamed of, sir. LOL. It's not your fault. Blame it onb something. Anything but yourself.

Ariel: Yes, we're in this too deep. Might as well go deeper to see if we can find something. Nothing to lose.

To every one who came in, thank you.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home