Monday, April 17, 2006

Petaling Jaya.

There are things about Petaling Jaya that you are not supposed to get it no matter how hard you try to figure it out. Like if you are driving from SS1 heading west towards SS2, try not to work the numbers because you won't find SS3, SS4, SS5 and so forth in a sequence like that. Right after SS2 is Section 14, a busy commercial zone I consider a serendipity because if this isn't it I don't know what is. I thought I had it all figured out until a friend told me that SS and Sections are two different concepts altogether. As different as A.R Tompel and Clint Eastwood.

Against this seemingly amusing system of zoning I decided it would be in my best interest to find a place to live where they number each zone according to the sequence that will make it easier for friends to come visit me based on a postal address.

Last night I needed to direct a friend from Damansara Toll Exit to my place. I wrote long time ago that it would be a big mistake to trust me to give directions. I can mix up your left and my left, your right and my right, the way I can mix up salad dressing with liquid detergent and not know the difference.

10.30 pm / 2230 hrs.
We are now at Damansara Toll Exit. How do we get to your place?

Okay. It's a simple drive from there to Damansara Perdana. Just follow the road until you come to a fly-over where there's a police station to your right. Keep going until you come to Taman Tun traffic light junction. Take left. Keep going. You will see One Utama on your left. Keep going until you see a huge Tesco directional sign. Keep going until you come to a fly-over. Take left to go up the hill. My apartment is on the left. Call me when you are in the neighbourhood. Okay?

10.50 pm / 2250 hrs.
You fellas should have been here by now. Where are you?
We are at SS3.

How did you get there?
Look, don't ask us any questions. Just get us out of here, will you?
Frankly, I don't know how to get you home, fellas. Do you have GPS?
No, we haven't bought it yet. Maybe you should have gotten us one.
Okay, relax, fellas. No need to get excited. It's not good for blood pressure. I'll bring you home.

I asked for familiar landmarks like a petrol station, or a tree that might look strange to them. They couldn't identify anything to help me guide them out of the area straight to the apartment. And so I asked again whether they see any shop that I might be familiar with. They mentioned something like Tea Pot or something to that effect which I said I had never heard a shop by that name. In the end I said why don't you fellas keep driving until you see somekind of civilisation and call me.

11.00 pm / 2200 hrs.
They were at Section 14.

Bergen, where are all the numbers between SS1 and SS2? We are now at Section 14. We didn't see SS3, 4, 5...
Look, this is PJ. Don't ask questions like that. It's close to midnite. You might get into trouble for asking a question like that.

I know my friends were hungry. Tired. They needed a shower. It had been a long drive from Penang in a rented car. Too bad my postal address isn't as simple as; 1605 Washtenaw and 4th. But what to do. This is PJ. I quickly turned on my PC to login Google Earth hoping the satellite would pick up three male Caucasians in a car somewhere in Section 14 PJ.

In the end I told them to stay put. I'll go over with a rescue vehicle to retrieve them from the battle zone. By the time we got home it was pretty late but being a host, I figured it was my responsibility to serve them a hot meal. I started cooking around 12.30 am. A simple fish dinner with lemon butter sauce and pasta which didn't turn out quite good. I blamed it on something about PJ that I still haven't quite get it.

26 Comments:

Blogger mama irma said...

Bergen, the best landmark to identify our area will be Tesco, Ikea, THE CURVE, or Ikano Power Centre. If your friends are lost somewhere there, it's easier and nearer for you to retrieve them!.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did quite well the last time you gave me direction to the Pizza Parlour didn't I? I was coming from Penag as well except my car wasn't rented and we are both female.

How come people say ladies are poor in direction hmmmmm.....

Hehehe, I do get lost all the time anyway in the city.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Hello, future neighbour (if you're still there when I move to Metropolitan Sq that is)! :-)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Ohh, but hello anyway! :-)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sayuti said...

owh, i used to live in that area, stayed with my bro at Desa Mutiara. very hard to move around. free shuttle bus from ikano to kj putra station only starts at 9.00 am and last bus is at 10.30pm. to get to work on time, have to wait for the 'Bas 99' as early as 6.00 am. riding on the back of my bro's motorcycle through penchala link and the heavy kl trafic is not very safe according to mom. therefore, i moved.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Noni: It'll get it in the end about this PJ thing. LOL.

Mama Irma: Yes, ma'am. Unfortunately my friend overshot the flyover at the police station to take a right turn. I told them the police station was on the right. My mistake. They kept going. Would have ended in Terengganu had they kept going. Maybe I should have asked them to do just that. LOL.

Anonymous: It was day time. I guess it was easier to find your way in the afternoon compared with trying to get the grip of the typography of the area at 11.00 pm. Agree, some women drivers are good at directions. I can only function when I got my bearing right. That's why I keep a compass in the car. BTW, I love compass. And GPS. LOL.

Ailin: I know what you mean. I wish we've got a proper system, a simpler one like they use in western country based on north south east west concept. We've got a road by a certain name, only to be called another after it meets with a junction going in the same direction. I guess it's too late to do anything now so might as well put up with it.

Ariel: Hello there, neighbor. Metropolitan Sq. Nice place. Is that the one with the glass pool built above the units for me to see from my balcony swimmers right through? No, ma'am. I ain't going nowhere. Not with that kinda pool right out my balcony.

Sayuti: You're a good son to listen to your mother. I won't know what's it like to listen to a mother's advice. Wish I knew who she is. You made me miss Aunt.

3:06 PM  
Blogger anggerik merah said...

PJ...I lost many many times around the area just because there is no sequence of numbering. Just like in a maze! Need to live there for some years to get out from the maze.

3:57 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

should have taken the kota damansara exit. easier!!!

but pj roads are really quite easy to comprehend actually.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Suriya said...

I used to live in PJ when things were much simpler.
I was in jalan CHangkat off Jalan Gasing and the roads nearby were Jalan Cantik and Jalan Molek and Jalan Tanjung. Bukit Gasing was a favourite haunt for me! But don t ask me about PJ now, I only know how to get to Shah Village Motel because the LRT stop is near!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Mama Rock said...

the sections and ss - i ended up in section 14 though I wanted to be in ss 14 ; clueless that they are clint eastwood and ar tompel altogether :)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

I'm the same. I totally don't get it. Not just PJ but the Damansara area as well. And I worked for years in that section in PJ they call State. I only knew how to get to State from KL and back. I'll probably make a bad navigator too.

5:29 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

oh by the way, SS in PJ stands for Subang/Sg Way.

sekian, (saja nak tunjuk pandai).

6:08 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Anggerik Merah: I don't know whether we should honor the guy who thought out the system. Maybe.

Xaviera: I believe SS stands for Sub Section, ma'am.

Dr Nurelhuda: Shah Village has a nice restaurant.

Mama Rock: Yes, one need to make sure whether it is SS or Section.

QOTH: Somehow I think PJ Old Town section is a bit more organized.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

X-Eyed Jules: Evidently I am no PJ bloke. Don't know where Raju's is. Are they on Jaya side of town or PJ State side? Must be a popular joint among hardcore PJ Boy like you. It is not that movie house which they've converted into a huge restaurant, right?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Ku Keng said...

Berg, it should be 11.00 pm and at 23 hours. Time is now getting to be confusing to you just as PJ.

6:54 AM  
Blogger edrina said...

Either the town planner should be blame OR you are not good in giving direction... :-)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in PJ or Kelana Jaya to be exact since i was a kid..and until now i still dont quite recognize some of the roads...sigh..

did some kajian sejarah when i was form 3..SS means Seri Setia..apakah?

p/s:oh btw, i live in SS3..SS2 is just opposite..SS1 is on my east side and SS4 is on my west side..SS5 pulak just next to SS4..Confuse tak? :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger anne said...

hey berg...i thot i was the only one...not only the SSs...then there is Jalan 222 & 223 and the roundabouts......feel like giving the townplanner a good smacking:-)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Keng: Thank you for pointing that out. I've corrected it.

Edryna: Give me time, ma'am. I'll understand PJ soon enough.

Girl From Ipanema: Your nick reminds me of the song by the same title. Nice flute.

Anne: I think this confusion is a lesson to newly emerging towns like Subang Jaya and USJ. Over there the numbering system is good. I kinda like the area too. And the roads are good, well paved and done in grid forms.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes..my all time favourite song..Not many people like it though..Cheers!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Yup, it's the one with the glass pool. Hope it turns out to be as nice as how it was in the ads lah.
And no, you def'ly, shouldn't move outta there. I may need motivation to go the pool, you see.

12:59 PM  
Blogger tee said...

me too try to avoid going to PJ and kelana jaya. very de confusing de road..arrrgghhh... pernah sesat sekali masa nak gi open house rumah member kat kelana jaya... sampai sudah memang tak jumpa... :( it's lucky that i lived in subang jaya... :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger maklang said...

Come to live where I am now and I guess you will never get lost!!!...., InsyaAllah.

2:29 PM  
Blogger UglyButAdorable said...

berg..i think shah alam still has the best town planning system, especially from sec 2 to 14... and the industrial area pun it's not complicated except mayb the Taman Sri Muda. tapi macamana bagus pun town planning kalau tak boleh prevent massive flood ..i dun think we can call that a good planned town.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Nobee: Is the area you live in close to the crematorium, the Christian graveyard and tanah perkuburan Islam? I have passed that area a few times and figured that must be the most muhibbah place for the deads.

Girl From Ipanema: Cheers, ma'am.

Moon: I like Section 14. There's a new Korean restaurant just opened where you can watch the traffic go by from 3rd floor.

Ariel: I know what you mean. The scale model looked really impressive. I've seen a condominium like that in Singapore. Can't recall the name of though. This glass pool with eternity edge would be a cool place to be. I believe the gym is built on top of the pool. I'm putting my unit on sale tomorrow. LOL.

Tee: Subang Jaya is a nice area.

Thinktankgal: Yes, ma'am. I know a PJ Queen and she's pretty.

Maklang: If you get in Kertih you will get lost even in a school padang.

UBA: Shah Alam is a nice place too especially around Section 7. But the drivers there are quite hasty, aren't they?

4:06 PM  
Blogger MDR said...

oh hell yeah, i've gotten lost in PJ more than a few times..i'll never understand how they planned the roads there ;-)

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home