Thursday, July 20, 2006

Angry Middle-Age Man.

It could take me months to figure where it came from but my buddies with whom I used to work on the rig have turned into angry middle-age men. Must have been the food they've been eating or something in the water because as far as I can I remember they weren't like this before and you can bet your left ear that they would be the last people on earth to complain about anything no matter how rough the going is.

At 40 something I don't think it is a good idea to be angry with anything. It's bad for the heart and it doesn't take no doctor to know this. Of course it's different if you are a 20 year old, or 30 something max. In fact I am inclined to believe that it is a good idea to be angry with the world if you are at that age. You may not understand much about what's going on with politics or economy or whatever because being at that age gives you the right to be angry. That way you can be in a rock n' roll band and sing your lungs out protesting about something like oppression, war, famine, corruption, sewage system, bus routes, ugly people, fat people, thin people, cars. You can even sing to complain about the color of the national flag. But at 40 something you had better think about being angry because who knows your heart could just pop without a warning.

Maybe it is part of ageing. You get angrier with the world as you get older. Or you have more things to complain about when you hit 40 something. You start to find fault with everything.

Traffic jam - because the city made such a big blunder planning the routes and putting on traffic lights at places where there should be a flyover.

Rude personnel manning a service counter - because they weren't taught the basics of Rukunnegara.

Mat rempit - because the education system doesn't prepare them to harness their passion for speed in a proper way, or because it is easier to buy a motorcycle than to get a kilo of sugar.

Weather - the world is coming to an end. Too much sins.

Economy - who knows better about this than those politicians in the parliament?

Politicians - a bunch of clowns no better than circus monkey in expensive suits.

Sports training centre in London - might as well build a rig style training centre in the middle of North Sea. Better exposure to extreme weather.

Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka - I thought it has been turned into a museum?

Lina Joy - not my problem.

Article 11 - They should pay more money to roughnecks like us. Yea, yea yea.

I can't write down all the complaints in here otherwise you'd think I am an angry middle-age man too. I am not. I am a laidback 40 something with no complaint whatsover and I am not angry with the world. I am just sitting here watching the clouds passing by enjoying my Sumatran coffee.

Life is good, ain't it?

14 Comments:

Blogger podgykat said...

You're right on all counts again Bergen. Yep, we 40 something yr olds,:) should sit back,enjoy the coffee,count our blessings; sing more songs, because life is too darned short..... There are people out there who would kill because it was mayo and not ketchup(as they requested) in their order of burger! As related to me first hand by a friend who had the unfortunate experience of managing the place where it happened... My, oh my. I'd rather just watch the sunset,sing a little song,(maybe out of tune), share some jokes and laugh till coffee came out of my nose!!!!!

4:10 PM  
Blogger mommy@lif said...

tak payah hit 40 to have this syndrom :) to err is human but have to watch out jugak... it's bad for your health

how was your date?

4:53 PM  
Blogger ROYAL JESTER said...

Anger is dangerous, esp if it pushes you to the edge and do things that you didn't realize you did when you were feeling angry.Sebab tu kena byk subhanAllah...but it takes a lot of practice and patience to not be angry in this world we live in..
Sometimes I feel I need to attend anger management class.Is there such a thing here?

5:07 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

life is what we make it to be. if "happy" is what we want, then "happy" we should be. Angry middle aged men aint a pretty sight. i know, I'm married to one!
g'day sir!

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute entry, angry middle-age 40-sumfing man!! Ha ha ha. And I thought you were 29 like me!!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger anggerik merah said...

Have to agree abt protecting heart with anger management! :-)

12:35 AM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

jangan marah-marah, nanti cepat tua.

eh lupa, dah tua pun.

9:04 AM  
Blogger HH said...

Yea, wonder why we're a bit too frequent getting angry over trivials nowadays...

Well, life is too short to get angry or stay as one. I learn my lesson well.

P.S - Bila the ribeye shall be served? (hint* hint*)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Mama Rock said...

aaahhhh sumatran coffee...shall enjoy it with you virtually :)

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and i thought that people mellow with age...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Lollies said...

hey i have PMS now and i have the right to be angry. :D

5:45 AM  
Blogger Em said...

Hola

My two cents worth, sumtimes people are unhappy in certain areas of their lives say work or family.. So in order to alleviate that stress they are angry and hit out at people.

For me to alleviate stress I bead..

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

Just count to ten bergen, count to ten and take a deep breathe.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Podgykat: My biggest fear is turning into a grumpy old man.

Alif's Mommy: My date with the 3 women turned out all right.

Pu1Pu3: Maybe you should start one right a way, ma'am, since there's a strong demand for such a programme.

Anedra: You're right. It works like a switch on a blender. I've switched it to 'happy' and try to live up to it.

S: No, ma'am. I've passed 29 long time ago.

Anggerik Merah: Problem is, you can't decide when to get angry in order to manage it.

ABWLB: I reckon it comes with age. Or is it?

Restless: Ahh, the ribeye.

MamaRock: Yes, ma'am. For that earthen taste, nothing beats Sumatran coffee. Well maybe Jaimaican Blue Mountain. Or certain Columbian I don't remember the name of.

Hemu2: Mellow they do, with ideas or their stance. But on the other hand, it encourages the crankiness side.

Lollies: Okay, will try to imagine what's it like.

EM: I eat.

Kak Teh: ...101 102 103 (shall I stop now?)

Thinktankgal: I got about 600gm left.

Nefertiti: Can't do that at Damansara Perdana. First, there's no roses. Second, too much dust.

To everyone who came in, thank you very much for coming. Have a nice day all, y'hear?

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home