Monday, August 23, 2010

People Who Don't Do The Things They Wannna Us To Do

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a quarrel with those nice guys who come on TVs every now and then to talk about what you gotta do to be a good person like you gotta read this doa' and read that doa', or you are not supposed to eat fish, chicken and beef in one sitting because it's bad for you, or you gotta eat fruits first before you take care of the main meal like a nice juicy steak. I don't have a quarrel with these guys, neither do I admire these guys for what they do because all they do all day is talk talk talk in a motivated way and to use Rasulullah as the example and citing this hadith and that hadith when I know for certain they just pluck these hadith from somewhere and then repeat them to you and me all the time making themselves look good for knowing so much about Rasulullah and Islam and everything there is to know about in this world.
No I don't have a quarrel with these nice guys because they make a lot of money talking the way they do. It's fine by me if they want to appear on TVs in a suit that they got off the rack and it is fine by me if they don't know how to match their shoes, or the pants look funny on them. As far as I am concerned they can put on the Spiderman suit and talk talk talk all day because some people make a living that way and from what I gather, it's a good living because they charge you by the hour and an hour can set you up quite a bit of money.
And there are guys like that who use the light and sound effects to talk talk talk about motivation and Allah and Rasulullah and Micheal Jackson and Dunia and Syurga and Neraka and Dosa and Pahala that I thought they are putting on a theatre show with props like stretcher, a body wrapped in kain balut mayat and stuff like that. They are even more expensive and from what I gather, these guys are good. And I don't know what exactly does it mean by 'good' because you can't make me pay to see a show like that. I don't think so.
I don't have a quarrel with these guys - people who give motivational talks to a willing audience for a fee. I don't keep track of how much money they make but I reckon this whole thing has become an industry in itself that could be worth millions by the time I'm done typing this entry out.
I like watching these guys do their talking on TVs because you can call in to talk about your problem and they've got all the answers in the world that can make you feel good. And they will cite this hadith or that hadith, sometimes they cite Qur'an translation and most of the time they tell you what you gotta do but I am not so sure if they themselves do the things they tell you to do. If you miss their show on TVs you can always go the bookstores to buy their CDs, or DVDs or books and these, lemme warn ya, don't come cheap.
Maybe you have an answer why the society needs to be motivated by these nice guys. Maybe there is a sociological explanation as to the increasing demand for motivational talks and seminars that you know, and you wish to share what you think of this because there's gotta be a reason why they do the things they do in order to make you do the things you've gotta do. And deep inside you know, they don't do the things they want you to do. But that's OK. That's how they make their money.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

..everyone got to earn a living, friend, and sometimes, they choose the only way they know how..a path of least resistance..and I think they're doing some good, too..old men like me need to be reminded..:) cheers..

10:06 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Pakmat: I get you, sir.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Red Alfa said...

Most of us have gone past the issues being presented by the motivational speakers on TV especially if the subjects they speak on are given in contexts of basic Islamic pronciples. They are obviously addressing to the simple minded Malay and Muslim audiences - the demographics of the day?

For most of the motivational speakers, certainly they have past doing the things they want us to do!

Isn't it just jarring to most of us, that we appear to have not even cleared first base?

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About these 'good people'... I always wonder...ada riak tak? Hmmm...

Jah

11:49 AM  
Anonymous i yang tulis ubat sendiri said...

he he, nice. since they put props and all in al hidayah, we (me and hubby) stopped watching...then the uztazahs...when they first materialised on tv, they really good,,,,then they appear with more glitters and more celak and more hands and head movements...then they were histories to us too...

hopefully they also practiced what they preached...cos in hereafter those that preach but not practicing..preceeds those who are ignorant like us...

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam, berlapang dada lah.

-- Nur Razali --

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sir Pök Déng said...

'Zaman Kebangkitan Islam'?

I don't know, sir. Got many related TV programmes nowadays. I listen to everything they say as if my ears are made to listen sympathetically to every woman's ramblings, just like yours I suppose. So my sympathetic ears later influence the way I think, which is to agree 200% on what I heard from the TV shows. Which is the same thing you and me would do if we're listening to a woman's ramblings. If they are pretty, that is. That's why they mekap the TV hosts, hoping that ignorant brats like you and me would nod nod and nod 200% of every hadiths and dalils they come out with.

Actually I don't know what I'm talking about, sir.

Whaddyathink about current TV shows yang banyak tonjol kes-kes alam ghaib, sihir, santau, pelalau, saka, bla bla bla??

2:44 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Red Alfa: People don't eat the same food, I guess that's the case here, sir.

Jah: We'll never know that for sure, let's just hope they are clean.

I Yang Tulis Sendiri: We get suspicious with people in that line of work who overdress.

Nur Razali: I don't get you, sir.

Sir Pok Deng: You got nodding 200%, 200 times - almost, I didn't count.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bergen sir,

i share your sentiments. common sense is after all not so common, hence the need for motivational speakers. anyways, all of us needs reminding sometimes.

salam

1:13 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Noir: You got it right there, sir. Different people need different thing at different time in different place.

11:24 AM  
Blogger AuntieYan said...

Salam Bergen,

You always write something that make me to think. No comment from me anyway. :-)

I wish you all the best and Selamat Hari Raya ...maaf zahir batin...

Mecca is a dream place for every humble Muslim. You are one lucky guy....The Kaabah is there waiting for you bro. :-)
Jangan lupa balik Malaysia pulak!!

12:16 PM  
Blogger mekyam said...

berg, talkingheads usually like to listen to themselves. not necessarily to what they say, but to how they sound.

maybe some religious talkingheads are the same...

1:55 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Auntie Yan: Tengoklah nanti, samada nak balik ke Malaysia atau tak he he.

Mekyam: Talkingheads are like that. Give them a microphone and they'll be all over, fascinated by the sound of their own voice.

11:54 PM  
Blogger mekyam said...

selamat hari raya dan maaf lahir batin, berg.

berhati2 kalau bermotor ke utara!

8:22 AM  
Blogger nadya.s said...

selamat hari raya Eid ul fitr Bergen! maaf zahir batin n sempga sihat dan dirahmati Allah selalu..

salaam raya dari nad, abah & family di raub.

take care sir!

8:46 PM  
Blogger White Melur said...

Just one question, do you watch Imam Muda? What do you think of it?

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home