Monday, February 25, 2008

Too Much Excitement Can Blind You Off.

Three friends from the days best left unwritten bought me an expensive dinner to discuss their latest venture into the exciting world of business. It wasn't the right kinda time to be talking about business when Barisan Nasional was falling apart like a deck of cards but I could put up a nice friendly face to listen to the things they had got to say on account of one thing; that I didn't have to pay for this expensive dinner. And so I ordered and ordered, ate and ate, listened and listened, agreed and agreed, yes this and yes that to everything. I wasn't too worried about if they could see me through. Every fool could see that I was completely uninterested with the things they gotta say but I knew these three screw heads the way I knew my way around a kitchen. Lemme explain.
They drank quite a bit of wine and when that happened, they got pretty tipsy in the head. And when that happened they could see nothing. Add this up with their excitement of venturing into business, and calculating how much money they would be making just by looking at the projected cash-flow, you've got yourself three stooges who would buy you the most expensive dinner in the house as long as you don't disagree with the things they say. And that's what I did. Which I thought was about the smartest thing I could do under the circumstances. Now you tell me if that wasn't the smartest thing a guy like me could have done.
They talked on and on that it finally hit me that they went about the long winded way through dinner to get me into the partnership because hey, we go back a long way, right buddy? All I've gotta do is put in a bit of money and the whole thing would snowball into a huge profit bigger than Bukit Jalil Stadium. According to the projected cash-flow, I would be a new millionaire in town latest by November 2008. Now you tell me if this isn't an interesting proposition. But I'm not the kind who let excitement get the better of me.
Time to play hardball. Time to dig up the things they knew but somehow weren't ready to tell me about it. Time to take at least a five-minute pause before answering. Time to look them in the eye and say nothing. Time to see if they avoid looking at you in the eye to say something you've gotta know. Time to say let's adjourn to some place else for coffee. (I gotta make sure they pay for the expensive dinner and so I say - I'm going to the gent. Meet me in the lobby.) Time to get out of there and let them take care of the check. I ain't paying nothing.
In the lobby we were joined by two interesting characters in clothes too skimpy for comfort not to mention a pair of shoes too high for their frame. Like I've said, I knew these screw heads the way I know my way around the kitchen. With these two women around, these stooges are gonna talk as if they owned the city.
By the time I was half way through coffee, the projected cash-flow, from a decent hundred thousand dollars became millions. I looked at the women to see if they knew how many zeros there are in a thousand.
In the end I said what I've gotta say. After all, I consider them friends and as their friend, I gotta tell them the truth. I said something like this;

'I gotta go watch the news.'

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smart move on your part, I'd say!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Ancient Mariner said...

That was a great parting one liner. Did you burp too?

5:39 PM  
Blogger nadya.s said...

good to have u back, sir..

6:35 PM  
Blogger cakapaje said...

Salam bro,

Whoa! I have to hand it to you: you are cruel, but cunning :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger ZABS said...

Salam Bergen,
Nice one and even nicer to have you back.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Podgykat: Must be the air that I breathe at the university that made me a smart guy eh? LOL.

Monstermom: Gotta do the things that can do good for me, ma'am.

Captain: No, sir. I didn't burp. Wish I did now that you've mentioned it. LOL.

Nadya: Thank you, ma'am. And good to have you here. Always.

Cakapaje: LOL, cruel? I like cunning better.

Zabs: Thank you, sir. Always very nice to have you.

11:58 PM  
Blogger tokasid said...

Salam Bergen:

That parting one liner is a gem.

Back to one of the main issues.
I always find it difficult when 'cornered' in situations like this. Old kamceng friends wanting you to be their bussiness partners. Had that experience before and finally we parted ways. the sad part is you and them are not that close anymore. All the growing up years together doesn't seem to matter now. No more frequent phone calls.Your sms are not answered.You are not invited to their party or kenduris anymore.
Not only you lost a bisnes partner but also an old friend.And that is sad.

But the way you manage avoiding a commitment to them is cool.Maybe bcoz they are almost tipsy turvy with the wine.But they must have believed the wine might somehow hide their eyes from telling the truth.

The icing is you get an expensive dinner. LOL!

Welcome back bro.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Pak Zawi said...

Salam Bergen,
This is a gem.
Just met an old close friend who just got screwed by another close friend. Times must be hard now that some people are willing to lose a friend for some money.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home