Thursday, March 01, 2007

That's Not What She Said Yesterday.

We ran into a hitch before we even started. It's nothing new. This whole venture depended on the promise of a friend who had more or less, gave her assurance to award us the contract. I should have warned my partner that this isn't the way to do business because you can't depend on promises but he insisted that she was her best of friend and that they go a long way together. I said, have it your way, mate. (Inside I said, you're making a big mistake.)
And so we started this whole outfit, putting together a place that resembles an office with a reception and coffee corner. And we waited. But the call never came and so my partner decided to give his friend a call. It took him two days to hand me the bad news because he was afraid I would blow my top.
Oh, okay.
That's all I could say because I am used to something like this way back as a child when people promised Aunt the sun and the moon that they'd buy everything from her next week and so Aunt put the stock on hold for them but when the time came, they never showed up, and Aunt had to dispose the stock the best she could.
Good thing I was ready for this and so I said, don't worry about it. I've got me a contract to keep us going for a couple of months before we go under. Good thing I decided not to take up any kind of loan to start off this venture. This I learnt from Aunt too. If you start a business on people's money as loan, you're gonna have to work hard from day one to pay off the loan.
Of course my partner doesn't know that I went into this venture with the mindset that we've got a 50 50 chance of making it big, or going belly up big time. And of course he doesn't know that I am prepared to go belly up and get up again and again until there's no point in getting up. Of course he doesn't know that I am willing to go separate ways when the time comes if he doesn't live up to this partnership.
Nothing personal, it's business.

12 Comments:

Blogger k.d said...

It's a tough world Mr.Bergen. Do not falter. Get up and keep on treading the rough coz you'll reach the calm soon enough.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Fauziah Ismail said...

Learn from Chris Gardner of "Pursuit of Happyness" fame. A rags to riches story. He was a nobody, now a multimillion dollar stockbroker. Determination puts him where he is now.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Sayuti said...

you've learned a lot from your aunt's experiences. thank you for sharing.

jangan jadi seperti pepatah melayu, 'berdentum guruh di langit, air di tempayan dicurahkan'.

never make business deal on promises and claims. only facts and money count.

i believe you've taken a calculated risk, and hopefully, your partner won't drag you down.

all the best with your venture, sir.

7:14 PM  
Blogger NorAiniJ said...

Each time we chose to trust ourselves and take action, we can never be certain how the situation will turn out. Sometimes we win sometimes we lose. The failures however are no less valuable than the success. In fact, we usually learn more from the perceived failures.

All the best sir.

9:54 PM  
Blogger IBU said...

when the going gets tough, the tough gets going :)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Clark Gable of Pulau Duyong said...

Dear Bergen,
Sorry to hear that but thats the thing about promise nowadays ,the path sound familiar,all the usual suspect were there even the music was similar ...alas, we are all human and we would still fall for all that ...Good Luck my friend stay strong and resilience like an old Jati tree on Bukit Mandi Angin in Dungun ...it went up to grow on to the size of 10 girths on the worst place one could imagine...you are certainly made of sterner stff..

"Been a pauper,puppet ,pirate,poet and a King.
I've been up and down and over and out and i know one thing,
Each time i find myself layin'flat on my face
I just pick myself up and get back in the race"

....Sinatra's 'That's Life'

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

En. Bergen, I like your spirit and your style. Good Luck. Jangan lupa banyak berdoa semoga di kurniakan rezeki yang luas dan berkat.

5:53 PM  
Blogger tokasid said...

Salam to Bergen.
You had prepared mentally for whatever eventuality that might cross your path but I doubt your partner expected the janji kosong.He must be really disappointed with his girl friend.
I'm suprised he bought the promise in the first place.He must have angan-angan about the contract very much.

Anyway as I said before, you've gone thru worse than this.Keep n trying sir.

5:05 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

It's good that you are mentally prepared for that. At least you are not overly frustrated over something yang tak menjadi.

Kadang2 kita ni senang sangat percayakan janji2 orang kan?

p/s : I have just tagged you (go read my new entry). If you feel like doing it, do it, if not it's OK really. No obligation OK.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck in your business. dah untung banyak kena buat kenduri!

12:50 PM  
Blogger anggerik merah said...

that is what business is all about. Always up and down to begin with... keep changing & moving.

Bergen, wish you success in this business.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry bout it Berg, if ever the biz goes belly up, u can always bukak warong jual buah... my husband ada dusun buah... u can panjat the pokok and have the buah to sell... and who knows one fine day some dude somewhere might beli your buah and say 'ini warong banyak bagus' kinda-likes...

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home