Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Didn't Know Any Better.

Next time I'll call and whisper sweet nothings, talking about nothing in particular, anything to keep a conversation going so you can go to bed thinking, oh what a nice man he is. And I can go to bed half conscious thinking, that phone call is gonna cost me quite a bit of good money.

I am a little in love, but not enough to do crazy things like go meet her up in her office in the middle of an afternoon with a picnic basket filled to the brim with lamb sandwiches so we could go find ourselves a bench in a park to eat lunch and talk talk talk until the sky comes down on us in a shower of rain so we can run to the car, and I can hold her hand while balancing the picnic basket in the other thinking, maybe we should run straight to Tok Kadhi's office so he can get us married right away. But you've got your children to think of and I've got nothing to think about except maybe, I shouldn't be thinking about being in love with you all that much since we've only known each other less than a month.

Experience has taught me to be careful about falling in love with someone like you. I don't know what has gotten into me but ever since I decided to become a land person full-time, I've been going out with single mothers like you more often than I care to count the number of times I cook these days. It doesn't bother me at all but this whole single mother thing is kinda new to me that I am not quite sure how to deal with it. Maybe I am still hurt by the last single mother I went out with and wanted so much to marry only to be told in the end over the phone that we had better stop seeing each other because I could be a child born out of wedlock.

And now you came along. Deep down inside, I want to marry you right away. I am even willing to marry you first and hope that maybe love will find its way to bloom when we are together as legal as my driver's licence. At this age, I don't think it is proper for us to be going out on a date, sitting for hours at a restaurant talking in whispers as if we are selling something illegal to one another. I am not comfortable, being at this age, to be seen in public with a woman who is clearly not my missus. It's okay for young people to do this. In fact I find it cute. But for middle-age people like us, I find it obscene. And dirty.

Maybe I should just call you and say: 'Marry me.'


29 Comments:

Blogger anggerik merah said...

Ahh...you are in Love..that is good news..as we need Love to live our life.

You last note...I would say go for it Sir!.

Life is too short and nothing is perfect..if there is some chemistry going on so why waste it..just my humble thot!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam Bergen,
Ask her to marry you..Insyallah kalau dah jodoh tak kemana.I believe in love after marriage. My marriage was arranged by my parents-with my consent of course.First time i met my hubby was the time he came to merisik, second time isi borang nikah and 3rd time interview nikah and fourth time akad nikah..our means of communication was only the phone..for 4 months .well here i am now happily married to the man who i love so much and i am sure he is very much in love with me ..Alhamdulillah

4:12 PM  
Blogger k.d said...

Bergen..I'm smiling again reading your blog. I'm happy for you and I hope this one goes well for you. Insya-Allah

5:13 PM  
Blogger podgykat said...

Throw caution to the wind and take the plunge!

Cheers.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Maybe ..... nothing ventured, nothing gained (and nothing lost) :-)

5:17 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

i dont know about asking her to marry you right away..but it would be good to be clear with her on yr intentions (ie. where you want this thing to head to)so that she knows u're serious.

Go for it!!!

Sighhhh...just love it when love is in the air! Good luck!!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you intend to propose to her, don't do it over the phone or SMS, not romantic at all.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

hi bergen :o)

find out what she feels about you, and then progress from there. i think that's safer than putting in all your effort only to be hurt again.

good luck! i hope you find happiness :o)

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bergen: I am a woman, I prefer man who will come clean and express their intention upfront. That's what I told my husband when he asked me 17 yrs ago to go on a date with him. I am a Muslim - I don't date - I get married. So tell her and good luck. If she declined - don't worry, there are other women out there. I dooa the best for you - Insya Allah - everything will work out.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh what the heck! I'll marry you.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

good luck bergen. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :-)

10:06 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Go for it lah, what the heck, throw caution to the wind, If she rejects you, at least you know she is not as in love with you as you her. :-)

10:56 AM  
Blogger nadya.s said...

hi bergen,

if u ask me.. i say yes straight away.. hahhahaa!

good luck bergen. jgn lupa jemput abah & me to your 'wedding of the year' okay.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Mama Rock said...

good luck berg, I'm feeling a bit lucky today!

3:35 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

tried istikharah? all the best!

12:04 AM  
Blogger dee3 said...

*smiles* do what you think is right. if you can't stand NOT proposing... then just do it lah! :D heh

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In today's day, no woman in her right mind will want to see you again, should you propose to her on the phone, after just knowing her for a month. You'll scare her. Be warned!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

follow your heart. it's the right choice at the moment of time. if u were meant to be together, it'll last :O)

i knew my other half only 4 months before we got married and now we're going on to 9 years. sadly no kids yet but we're happy.

face it a day at a time while planning for an eternity, that's what we believe in.

11:42 PM  
Blogger AIN said...

love is just ain't enuff. make sure that u r compatible and comfortable with each other b4 making the big decision. afterall marriage should last a lifetime. just my 2 cents.. :P

12:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hello Bergen,

Long time I haven't come to your blog and suddenly you are thinking of getting married. Hmm... think carefully if she's the right one for you.

Usually, if a person is really in love, he won't hesitate and he won't think dating as dirty and improper in regardless...

When a person is in love, there's no reason and there's no thinking involved, dear.

Well... think about it. Good Luck!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Monster Mom said...

Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound
And I don't know if I'm being foolish
Don't know if I'm being wise
But it's something that I must believe in
And it's there when I look in your eyes
Love is in the air
In the whisper of the trees
Love is in the air
In the thunder of the sea
And I don't know if I'm just dreaming
Don't know if I feel sane
But it's something that I must believe in
And it's there when you call out my name

Just sing her this song and she'll just melt....
Jgn tunggu lama lama..nanti dikebas org...haha...good luck bro...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Idham said...

:)

best wishes.

Idham

4:54 PM  
Blogger Ninja said...

That was such a lovely post. All the best!

4:38 PM  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

9:01 PM  
Blogger Miss Aini said...

dats so sweet uncler bergen

:)

kalau jodoh x kemana

istikharah is the best decission

i wish u all the best
(and eternal happiness)

8:42 AM  
Blogger edrina said...

love is in the air....I'm happy for u bro..
Wish u luck...

"No Guts No Glory"

1:43 PM  
Blogger munirah hayati said...

hmmm...am so jealous of that lucky woman. wished a man loved me enough to be plotting ways to propose to me :D

good luck mr.bergen! love your blog!!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

To everyone who came in, thank you very much. Wish I had a bit of energy left to answer each comments. Just got home and all I can think of at the moment is bed.

Thank you, all.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home