Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thank You, Diran Kesuma.


Don't know much about Hemingway other than he led a macho life. The kinda life I'd like to have one too. Read 'Farewell To Arms,' and the things people wrote about him and the background to that book. He couldn't shake off his first love, I think her name is Agnes von Kurowsky and she was a nurse and he, an ambulance driver for the Red Cross during World War I in Paris. He got wounded and that's how he met Agnes. I'd give anything for a romance like this although I don't like the idea of me being wounded and being looked after by a nurse. I looked all this up in the internet, so don't you go jump the gun and put me on the same bus as those literarily inclined folks who know so much about every writer in the world.

I gotta confess out in the open so that you'd know that what you wrote in the comment on the last entry about 'vignette-Hemingway' thing really made me feel like I've inherited the most profitable oil rig belonging to a national oil company. It made me very happy. I was so happy that I gotta look up the word 'vignette' and found out that the word doesn't pronounce the same as it is spelt. It is the kinda word, had I not look it up, that I have the tendency to pronounce the way the spelling goes, and you'd know right away that I don't know any better about this kinda thing. It's the kinda thing that only metropolitan man would know right away how to pronounce. To a cowboy like me, well you know better.

Thank you for putting me on a trail to learn as much as I can about famous writers. It made me want to surf the net, looking up for famous writers and read their works all night long. I've locked in my Favorite 'online-literature' so I can log on to this site often and soak up as much things as I can. Good thing I don't have no where to go, and I've got all day, and night, to read eventhough I got a feeling by the time I'm done, I'd probably gonna need a pair of glasses thick as magnifying glass, the kind Pok Mat Satay used to put on looking so zen and at one with the glasses that if you took it off he'd look so different you won't know between day or night.

Thank you, Diran Kesuma. You said nice things about me that I feel like pinching my nose real hard so I'd know for certain that this ain't a dream.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

aaah, the only think i know about hemmingway is The Old Man and The Sea. The sea was like his first love too. But u shd also read Ivan Turgenev's First Love.

2:34 PM  
Blogger dith said...

I didnt know that you pinch someone on the nose to test whether it's a dream or not....I always thought you just pinch them on the arm or something, never the nose! hehe

Guess, you must have inherited your Aunt's 'mancung' Arab nose i.e. most prominent feature to be pinched!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Suriya said...

You don t want to be like Earnest Hemingway..he touched many people with his writings but he did not find his own answers and died by shooting himself .
http://www.wowessays.com/dbase/ad1/bsw86.shtml

3:46 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

i idolise Winnie The Pooh, you know, That Bear of Very Little Brain who lives at the 100-Aker Wood.

A Farewell To Arms is beautiful. She died at the end of the story.

*sigh*

now i'm depressed.

3:55 PM  
Blogger HH said...

Dear bergen,

Alamak! When did this acquitanc-ing period take place? Jealous la I, now that Bergen is friends with my course-mate, Diran.

Anyway, I assume you're boarding the literary crew now, instead of the rig...

P.S - BTW, berg, love the way you've changed the font (in the entry as well as this one in the commentary sect). I pray thee, do tell the way.

Love, anim

4:12 PM  
Blogger HH said...

And one more thing, you do remind me of Mister Hemingway when you put him that way.

Cheers!

4:13 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Can never picture as Hemmingway esp if he was like the photo you put up. :-). Especially notthe thick misai and all. Mungkin macam.......sapa no?

btw. I am safely home.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Em said...

B

U shy ke...so bashful...hmm

10:31 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

i read the same article last week on reuter.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Kak Teh: I looked that up. According to the piece one of the ways to make Hemingway mad is to suggest that people like Turgenev had an influence on him.

Dr Roza: LOL.

Noni: Works like magic every time for me, madam.

Dr Nurul: Don't worry about it, ma'am, I don't plan on being a writer to earn a living. Besides it'll be a long time coming before my writing can touch any heart.

Xaviera: There's a feature article in the Star yesterday about the owner of this name, Xaviera Hollander. I like Farewell To Arms a great deal.

Anim: The more I read about Hemingway, the more I like the kinda life he led, going from one place to another although in the end he blew his brains out with a shotgun. That's pretty sad.

Thinktankgal: Yes, ma'am. I will try to authentic no matter what it takes.

AuntyN: Good to hear that ma'am. Well, maybe he looks like the guy they used for Standard Chartered TV commercial long time ago.

EM: Me, shy?

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home