Friday, February 03, 2006

It's Good To Be Back.

No one would ever believe us for a second that we are city folks true and true but it is good to feel like one driving back to the city from Dungun in a long line of cars returning from the longest weekend holiday ever. I don't have a job to go to Friday but it's good to feel that I am now part of the city even though deep down inside I know I don't belong here. Not until I have a job. This thing takes time. A job doesn't come rolling your way in a week, or two. Maybe it'll take months. Or even years. Unless of course you are a hotshot CEOs with outstanding track records for turning ailing companies into a sterling organisation that can keep shareholders smiling end to end. Give me a company I'll probably drive it down to the ground in a day.

The trip to Southern Thailand isn't going to be a breeze. For one thing Aunt Su doesn't have a passport and she obviously needs one if we are going into the country as tourists with an honest intention to get out of there as soon as we are done with our business looking for a long lost relative. I don't know how on earth are we going to do this because Aunt Su doesn't know how this relative of hers looks like. For all I know this relative of hers could have gone through a complete make-over, including her personality. I want to tell Aunt Su to forget about this whole business of looking up for someone from the past because I doubt if any good will ever come out of this. For days I have been looking for a chance to tell her but I keep passing it off because I don't think I will ever have a heart to tell her to forget about it and that she should concentrate on enjoying what's left to be enjoyed while she can. I guess Noni is right. As you get older, you want to connect with people from the past and you don't care very much if they are alive. Or dead.

Bila nak pi buat paspot?
Maksu belum ada Mycard lagi kan?
Kena buat ka?

With Aunt Su things can go one way but you have two ways of dealing with it. Either you scream for her ignorance. Or you laugh and joke about and say, okay we'll go do it next week. I prefer to caress her hand and give her all the assurance in the world that she's got me to help her get her Mycard. And then a passport. And then, maybe a trip to Southern Thailand. Of course by then I'll probably have like four peptic ulcers.

12 Comments:

Blogger AuntyN said...

Welcome back.

Well, there are times when we have to tell them straight the "bad' news as not to put them high on hope.

If things just don't seem to be possible, I would tell my mak that it is almost impossible to find that relative based on the name alone. Between that we can try on our own to find that person. Maybeyou can try the local mesjid in the area where the relative used to stay before. Just a long shot though.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with this, Bergen.

1:33 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

Not a good time to be travelling in Southern Thailand at the mo. If you must - all the best..

2:07 PM  
Blogger anggerik merah said...

:-))

2:13 PM  
Blogger Count Byron said...

Berg.. always a pleasure read.
Love your aunt in her natural elements.. and your humble attitude of pleasing... ulcers and all

4:33 PM  
Blogger Lollies said...

man you sure are patient

8:01 PM  
Blogger dith said...

Why 4 peptic ulcers? hehe. Even one can kill you! The bleeding ones that is!

BTW, those books on ghost stories, are they in Malay or English? I've yet to see you write in proper Malay, :))

1:06 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

Hello Bergen, it's nice to have you back! I agree with AuntN, that sometimes you just have to tell them the bad news up front just so that they don't put so much hope on it. On the other hand, just look at it as a holiday trip as much as you can and have fun! Although, I do agree with Torts, it's not the nbest of places to go to at the moment.

So sir, you stay safe and all the best with your jejak kasih!

11:17 AM  
Blogger maklang said...

Hai... Dah terlepas lah ni, if you ever pass by Kerteh again, do drop by at my place...

9:06 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

hmm, I do feel this urge to track down relatives too - is that a sign of old age too? hmm

10:53 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Ola

First memang betul it takes time to find a job..Sabarlah
Insyallah boleh..

II)Abt the passports.. buat wen u are ready...

Jgn ada ulcer sudah ah...

1:59 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

AuntyN: Maybe something good will come out of this. Hopefully.

QOTH: Let's see where this is going to take us. Thank you, ma'am.

Torts: I hope Aunt Su will come to her senses and decide not to go ahead with this plan.

Anggerik Merah: Hello, ma'am.

Noni: It's only Rm10.

Count Byron: Thank you, sir.

Lollies: I don't have a choice, ma'am.

Dr Roza: Those stories are in Malay. Don't bother reading them. LOL

Anedra: Happy anniversary, ma'am!

Maklang: You are in Kertih?

Kak Teh: It only shows that we need to stay connected. I guess it's only human.

Em: We'll see how it goes.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home