Friday, January 20, 2006

Job Hunting

Between now until July, I need to have a job to keep me and Aunt Su going so we won't die of hunger for want of a decent meal. For almost two hours, Aunt Su and I ran through each and every want ad in the classified section of the paper, making a few phone calls to talk to girls who manned the phone trying to make myself understood because most of them speak neither English nor Malay. I have two appointments tomorrow at noon for a job working the door of a nightspot. Aunt Su said I shouldn't go. I think so too. We didn't migrate to the city so I can become a bouncer, besides it is not the kind of job my childhood dream is made of. There's an opening for a driver to a GM of a company but no way this job is for me, not until I am familiar with all the roads and alleys of this fine city so I can drive my boss out of a bad traffic jam so he can make it to a meeting on time.

This is all new experience to me, talking to companies where the personnel division doesn't even know there's a vacancy in the office. Sometimes I need to say something like, but your ad came out today on page 3, 5th column. I am used to a company that owned a fleet of helicopters and oil rigs all over the world, not to mention an impressive headquarters in all the capital cities of the world. I am used to a multi-national company who owned supertankers big as Bukit Jalil Stadium. I am used to a company with a huge personnel department where they communicate decisions made at management level via tv commercials, or a corporate video. I am going to have to get used to all these and most importantly, I have to have a positive mind to enjoy all this, laugh if there's something that need to be laughed at, or shrug off if there are issues that need shrugging off.

Aunt Su is sound asleep in her bed. We had a heavy lunch, this being Friday and all and it is as good a day as any to treat ourselves to nasi briyani and air sirap bandung. We may not have much money left tomorrow to treat ourselves this way but for today, we've got enough left for a bit of coffee later in the evening.

We are going to be alright, Aunt Su. I promise.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

Insyaallah you will be alright and with you taking care of Aunt Su - she will be in good hands. All the best.

4:47 PM  
Blogger mommy@lif said...

aminnnnn ya rob bil 'a lamiin...
*aminkan doa kak teh*

4:57 PM  
Blogger LifeBloom said...

Allah SWT will keep you & Aunt Su in his care. Where He closes a door, a window always opens. Redha, berserah and ikhtiar. InsyaAllah.

If something doesn't kill you - it only makes you stronger.
[my fitness regime motto by the way ;-)]

5:14 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

good luck bergen! i hope everything turns out fine!

6:00 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

InsyaAllah, with your niat yang ikhlas tu, Allah permudahkan segala pekerjaan dan laluan.

All the Best and take Care

6:14 PM  
Blogger Amzira said...

dah cukup ramai doakan u.insyallah rezeki allah ada di tangan org yg berusaha.good luck.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Count Byron said...

Hi Berg. You are in an extremely safe environment! Your finese, your polished communication, your great attitude with a generous touch of class... you are going to enjoy working with these companies.. for a change from the super loader you had been with for a long while now.

Enjoy life as it unfurls itself for your taking Berg.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Hello

Hope u find ajob soon insyallah!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Kak Teh, Alif's Mommy, Noni, Lifebloom, Anedra, AuntyN, Amiza S, Em.

Words can never express how much your prayers mean to me. Thank you. Thank you very much from me and Aunt Su.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Count Byron, since you are the only gentleman, I've got this box reserved especially for you, sir.

Thank you from me and Sharifah Suraya

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home